Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Car Repair? ABS, traction control trouble lights    
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> Anything Goes

kuhurdler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Car Repair? ABS, traction control trouble lights Reply with quote

anyone know how to do car repair here?

I have a 2001 chevy impala that the ABS light is on, the Traction control is "off", and my mpg gage on the heads up display reads "--E--".
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

kuhurdler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, evidently it is caused by a bad speed sensor. If any of the 4 speed sensors (there is one on each wheel) are bad, the ABS and the traction control shuts down. You can check to see which one is bad by using an ohm-meter on the terminals of the speed sensor. Most of the Speed sensors are around 1kOhm. My bad one (the Right Rear Wheel) showed Infinite resistance.

Unfortunately on these Chevy Impalas, all the speed sensors are built into the hub bearings, so you have to replace those to replace the speed sensors (Thank you GM for that fine engineering feature). We already had one hub bearing replaced by the dealer under warranty when we first got our car. It was billed at $550, so I knew I didn't want to pay for them to replace it. I could either go without ABS, since it ran fine. Or I could replace it myself.

I chose to replace it myself.

Take off the tire and brake calipers. Remove the Rotor and you can access the 4 bolts holding on the hub bearing through a hole in the hub assembly. After I removed the bolts on mine it was still stuck. I tried convincing it with a mini-sledge, but that didn't work. I used a screwdriver and a chisel to pry them apart to remove the old hub assembly, and reinstalled the replacement hub in opposite order.

Total Cost = $135 for replacement from O'Reilly Auto Parts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2015 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com