Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Changhong 50" LED LED50YC2000UA - partial double image    

lightja

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Changhong 50" LED LED50YC2000UA - partial double image Reply with quote

Changhong 50" LED LED50YC2000UA
There was no major trauma, my TV has been mounted on the wall for awhile, we bought it January of 2014. We leave it on mostly 24/7. The only physical interaction with the TV is when my 8lb (tiny) cat climbs on top of it to chase bugs, but seeing as how the problem is on the bottom of the TV, I don't think that's related.

There's two images in that imgur post. The TV switches between those two states every ~1.5 seconds. I call them split/solid phases. In the solid phase, the majority of the image looks fine, but there's a black horizontal line that starts about 3.75 inches from the bottom of the TV, it appears to be 2-3 pixels wide. Around that black horizontal line there are about 2-3 lines that show color, but seem to be in not quite the exact right place, maybe offset somewhat vertically. During the split phase, the black line mostly disappears, leaving a line maybe 1 pixel wide. Every horizontal line below the black line moves either up or down. It looks like about 2/3 of them get misplaced up a few pixels and about 1/3 of them go down a few pixels.

I haven't really tried anything yet because the TV is still mostly watchable and I don't want to dismount it yet, so I'm mostly looking for advice on what to look at first when I do dismount it. I'm not sure what you call this problem, it looks like a double image problem but it's only on about the bottom ~15% of the screen.

Edit: I have actually made sure it isn't just the DVR/laptop by switching devices, so I know it's actually the TV. I also tried resetting the TV to factory settings, no luck.

Any help is appreciated!

Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

JTS1957

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of tab bonding defects, with Samsung displays especially.
lightja

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is that usually fixed? I know Changhong isn't exactly the most well-known brand, so I expect most answers to be a shot in the dark anyways, but maybe it'll give me ideas of what to look into.

I at least have a decent amount of experience with electronics repair in general, I'm just not sure where to start here, and I'm not too ambitious to get started either while it remains watchable, at least until it starts driving my partner insane.
JTS1957

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lightja wrote:
How is that usually fixed?

With something like THIS
madmanmapper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd assume he means the bonding of the wires that operate the actual lcd.

Here, read this: https://uselessforums.com/threads/article-howto-repair-lcd-tab-bond-and-tcon-issues.13670/
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

lightja

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so if an LCD bonding machine costs more than replacing the TV (i'd venture a guess and say probably lol), the general sentiment is that I probably need to replace the TV to fix it? In other words, not worth fixing?

The answer I got on reddit.com/r/tvrepair was "100% bad panel, only fix is replacement" which I'm not sure if he means replacing the panel or the TV.
JTS1957

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be replacement of the PANEL will fix the TV 100% of the time.

Presuming you can afford the cost of the PANEL & locate the PANEL & safely have the PANEL shipped to you.
lightja

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is replacing the panel usually one of those expenses that is too expensive to consider? I could just as easily spend $250-$300 on a newly refurbished or used 50" TV (could prolly find cheaper used with time) and probably have a much easier time getting it, so I'll probably only consider the panel if I can get it under $150 and it's not too difficult to install, but I'm thinking since it's Changhong brand and I've never done this before, it's probably best to just buy a new TV? I can probably sell this one for like $50-$100 to recoup some of my costs because the defect isn't too bad.

I did a cursory search for a Changhong C2000 50" LED TV panel and didn't have any luck. Based on other TV model part prices, it seems getting it for $100 (not including shipping) is possible, but unlikely due to rarity.

Is this a good line of reasoning? Probably just new TV?

Any recommendation for a place online to buy parts? Is there a source I could check where if they didn't have it, I probably wont find it?
madmanmapper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, just get a new tv. You're not gonna find an lcd panel for that chinese pos. A nice refurbished set sounds like a good plan.
lightja

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm here to report a miraculous recovery! No more problem, the lines just disappeared sometime last night. Glad I didn't junk it right away haha.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2015 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com