Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
CurtisMathes TV vertical adjustment    

abbydabs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: CurtisMathes TV vertical adjustment Reply with quote

I just purchased a used 25" (made in 2002) CurtisMathes TV. It needs a little bit of height adjustment. I used to repair TV's many. many years ago when all the setup controls were in the back. I have a Zenith where I have to press certain buttons on the front panel in order to enter the service menu to make setup adjustments. Does anyone know how to do this (or adjust the height) on a CurtisMathes? Looked on the PC board but didn't see any adjustment pots or coils. The only numbers I can find on the set are ...SS14CA02789A. Doesn't sound like a model number but I don't see anything else. Thank you.

Last edited by abbydabs on Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

JTS1957

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abbydabs wrote:
Does anyone know how to do this (or adjust the height) on a CurtisMathes?
Would be easier if 'Real' manufacturer was known. It is new enough to be electronically adjustable via service menu although if the height problem is due to, say the value of a capacitor drifting, you might be smarter to find the defective cap and replace it. Then you wouldn't have to adjust - repair/replace - and adjust back.

My memory ain't what it once was, but there should be a identifying model and serial number printed on the back cover (where you obtained vintage?), unless the set was stolen and label peeled off. A 'UL' or FCC code will tell who made it for CM, but those are usually on the same label. I recall Samsung and Sharp, for example. Sometimes part numbers (or partial part numbers) off major parts will point you in right direction.

You may find some other numbers on the inside of cabinet or possibly a chassis number on the top or bottom of the PCBs.
abbydabs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: curtismathes setup info Reply with quote

JTS1957, Found the sticker that has the model number on it. My neighbor found it on the floor in back of the table that it was sitting on. It's a model CM25011S.
JTS1957

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try C305 (could be C306) 470ufd 25 volts.
C307 & C308 are also in same circuit.

See if there's a 'K15C' on the bottom of the PCB usually near the flyback transformer.

IF it is:
MUTE → 1 → 8 → 2
→POWER ON.
VA Vertical Amplitude (Note 'original' number, so it could be restored)
abbydabs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTS1957, That's it!! You're the man. Thank you sooooooo much for your help. I decided to try the MUTE 1-8-2 to access the service menu first as taking the set back out of the cabinet and having to move some furniture would be a bit of a hassle. I was presented with quite a list of adjustments. I adjusted the VA as you said and was able to adjust the picture to get little over-scan on the vertical. I also noticed a bit of blue tint in a B&W picture so I tried adjusting the BG (hoping it stood for blue gain) it worked also. How can I find out what all those adjustments are for? I haven't been able to find a service manual for the set online anywhere. Boy, these newer sets have come a long way since I used to repair the old tube sets.
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

JTS1957

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLUE GAIN.

Search Samsung 'K15C' at elektrotanya.

Do not tamper with the “Adjustment” screen of the Factory Mode menu. This screen is intended only for factory use.

Or

Entering or making changes in service mode by untrained persons can cause significant and permanent damage to your television. If you are not qualified to service your television, please DO NOT ENTER these service menu codes.
abbydabs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't plan on making any more changes especially when I'm not familiar with what I'm changing. The VA adjustment I made worked well. The picture fills the screen top and bottom now. Turning down the BG a few points to get a good color balance as there was a touch too much blue in the picture made for a little less brightness in the picture as was expected. So I turned the BG back up to where it was and then turned up the RG and GG a bit. That made it perfect. The blacks look black now with no blue tint. Good, sharp picture. I'm surprised that the convergence was spot on. I spent a lot of time with my B&K color bar generator adjusting convergence.and a lot of time doing setups as picture tubes aged. I will search that Samsung 'K15C' at elektrotanya you have suggested. Again, really appreciate your help. Thank you very much.
abbydabs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the service manual at Samsung 'K15C' at elektrotanya. Have it downloaded and saved. Thanks a BIG bunch.
JTS1957

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2015 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com