Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Flashing power button on Phillips 60PL9200D   Goto page 1, 2  Next  

cleatus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Flashing power button on Phillips 60PL9200D Reply with quote

Hi All. My mom has an older TV and I'm trying to fix it for her rather than trash it and buy a new one. It's a Phillips 60PL9200D. Originally we were told that it was the main board that needed replacing, costing approx. $300. To top if off, it was on back order as well with no ETA. I found a used one an Ebay and was able to install it. I'm a pretty techie guy and having built several computers, felt comfortable replacing it. After replacing it, I plugged it in and let it sit for few minutes before trying to power it on. When I did try and power it on, I can hear it turn on but then the power button blinks 6 times slow, short pause and then 5 times fast. From the forums I've read and other posts, it seems to lead to the bulb but that was replaced by the tech (supposedly) that said the main board needed replacing. I possibly thought that the travel between my mom's house to the service place, then back to her house, then to my house might of caused the bulb to go bad but wanted to post here and see what others thought before I purchase a new one. I contacted the manufacturer about the flashes power button sequence but they were worthless and just told me I should take it in to get serviced.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

JTS1957

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you believe the tech would leave a brand new bulb installed in the set?
cleatus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTS1957 wrote:
And you believe the tech would leave a brand new bulb installed in the set?

No, I don't. But I did take the bulb out and there is no appearance of any hours on it. I also ordered a cheap one off of Amazon (not OEM just to test) and still had the same result in the power light sequence. Thanks for the reply though.
JTS1957

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would be amazed at what a known-good "name-brand" bulb can do.

?Did 'Phillips' tech also skimp out?

Also:
cleatus wrote:
But I did take the bulb out and there is no appearance of any hours on it.

Must be from the SAME school of thought as: "I can tell that any electrolytic capacitor is good or bad just by its appearance." Rolling Eyes
CuriousGeorge

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you check all caps and fuses? check for hidden boards as well? Have you checked everything with a multimeter?
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

cleatus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTS1957 wrote:

Must be from the SAME school of thought as: "I can tell that any electrolytic capacitor is good or bad just by its appearance." Rolling Eyes

I didn't say it was good. I said it appeared that it was. There's a difference there. Again, I'm not a TV repair guy. Just trying to see if I can help my mom fix her TV. I also stated that I replaced it with a new one just to be sure. Maybe in the midst of your sarcasm you overlooked that part of it.
cleatus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuriousGeorge wrote:
did you check all caps and fuses? check for hidden boards as well? Have you checked everything with a multimeter?

No I haven't. I'll look there next. I was hoping that the flashing sequence of the power button was a quick indicator to the problem. Does the flashing mean anything at all?

Thanks for replying.
CuriousGeorge

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cleatus wrote:
JTS1957 wrote:

I didn't say it was good. I said it appeared that it was. There's a difference there. Again, I'm not a TV repair guy. Just trying to see if I can help my mom fix her TV. I also stated that I replaced it with a new one just to be sure. Maybe in the midst of your sarcasm you overlooked that part of it.

you overlooked my help to insult another member...you must not want her tv repaired too bad
cleatus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuriousGeorge wrote:
cleatus wrote:
JTS1957 wrote:

you overlooked my help to insult another member...you must not want her tv repaired too bad

I did rely to yours as well and I thanked you for the advice. His on the other hand just wanted to poke fun at my lack of knowledge in this area. I take part in many, many programming forums and never do I put someone down that is looking for help. I get that he was pointing out that I shouldn't take the repair guys word with the new bulb. That's why I ordered a new one.
CuriousGeorge

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cleatus wrote:
CuriousGeorge wrote:

No I haven't. I'll look there next. I was hoping that the flashing sequence of the power button was a quick indicator to the problem. Does the flashing mean anything at all?

Thanks for replying.

im sure the flashing does indicate something. Have you tried looking on google for Philips tv error codes?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2015 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com