Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
help needed connecting old tv to cable box   Goto page 1, 2  Next  

kbick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: help needed connecting old tv to cable box Reply with quote

Hi, I have an old sanyo tv that was connected to our frontier cable box and worked fine. Then I disconnected it and did not write down the connections and can't get it working again. I've tried many combinations but can't find the right one. I remember that even though the 3 colored cable is 3--3, there was one that was not connected, I think a yellow one, but don't remember if that was for the tv or cable box. Any suggestions?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzTvBCBTWdyaOGJIM0JaVV8tRmM
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

JTS1957

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make/Model numbers for both so that User Manuals can be located and scrutinized for ALL connectors legible labels.
kbick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to the manual:
http://tv.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/sanyo/dp19647.html

I followed the instructions on page 20, although I don't have an antenna it looks closest to my setup, the only difference being the direct line from cable box to tv (which can only be connected one way) instead of antenna.

All this worked, so there is a solution somehow...

Thanks.
JTS1957

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTS1957 wrote:
Make/Model numbers for both so that User Manuals can be located and scrutinized for ALL connectors legible labels.
kbick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cable box - motorola VIP 1200
TV - sanyo DP19647
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

JTS1957

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And finally on page 23 of TV manual: Which cable or cables shown do you have?

Frontier is your cable company.
kbick

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have 3 prong cables on both ends - yellow, white, red

it worked before, but I seem to remember one end (I believe the tv) only had 2 of the 3 plugged in, but that's the part I wish I had taken a picture
JTS1957

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on your colors description, I'll assume Composite Cable/wires (Pictured on page #12 of the TV's user manual).

Since the Cable box and the TV both support stereo audio, I'd suggest using all 3 connectors.

On page #10 of that SAME manual connect one end of the Composite cable to Audio/Video Input (VIDEO1) as shown. Best to connect yellow plug to yellow jack; Red to Red & White to White. NOTE that "VIDEO 1" is being specified. That is what INPUT you will select at the TV or with the TVs remote.

On page #11 of Cable box User Manual (page #21 of PDF) the remaining end of the Composite wire will connect: Yellow to "Video Out" - Red to "Audio Out R" - and White to "Audio Out L." (I assume they are also color-coded like the TV was, even though manual is B/W).

Cable box must have cable company's wire connected and cable box must be powered On and tuned to an active station. TV is turned on and INPUT "Video 1" is selected.

NOTE: This video connection method does not support HD video. Since your TV does NOT have HDMI, that option is out, but it does have Component Inputs (Red, Blue & Green) which will support HD Video. For HD video, a set of Component cables and connecting to and selecting a different Input would be all that's required. (Your original Audio wires can be moved to new input.)
kbick

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's exactly how I have it set up, see images below:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YQsU4_T3fdxLhqXFE_3Xo-qU_cEOOEJVkRwEH46kP7A

Although its hard to see, tv is set to video 1, I hear sound, but no picture.
JTS1957

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-Video OR Yellow RCA (Video) ... NOT both.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2015 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com