Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
How to change CRT fluid?    

Cavi Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:19 am    Post subject: How to change CRT fluid? Reply with quote

I just can't put up with the blurry image anymore. I really thought once I got through with everything here that I'd be done but the image is still blurry. I originally said screw it and was just going to deal with it, but I can't, it's driving me nuts. Blah.

Last edited by Cavi Mike on Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

kuhurdler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, you already changed the CRT fluid and it's still blurry? I ask, because your title suggests that you're asking how to change it, but your thread appears otherwise.
Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you carefully read thru the process of changing the fluid it explains how to determine what is causing the blurry effect.
So, I ask you. Define blurry without using the word blurry.

Is the picture ok when looking directly into the CRT's with the set on?

Jesse
Cavi Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't change the fluid, it's the only thing I haven't done. Check the link in my original post. The image is foggy, halos around everything. The screen is as black as black can be when it's a black screen but when there's an image, everything black becomes fairly bright. I can tell light is getting scattered. And if I look directly into the CRT's with them on, no, it's not a crystal-clear image but I just figured that's how it was supposed to be. Now I think otherwise.
Cavi Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what my mouse pointer looks like on my TV.

Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

kuhurdler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is pretty bad.

Have you made sure to adjust the focus knobs on your screen/focus block?
What resolution are you using,
what inputs,
and how good are the cables you are using to connect it.

I tried hooking up a computer to my Sony KP-53HS10 and it looked pretty poor like that. I used some pretty crappy cables though with a crappy video card.
Cavi Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I follow you, do you mean the adjustment here? No I haven't touched those for fear of never getting my focus back. Other than stuff in the users menu, I haven't touched anything. I'm afraid to go into the service menu, once again, afraid to mess something up.

My video card is an NVIDIA 7300GT 512Mb @ 1024x768 with an S-Video out. It looks like crap on my Dreamcast and my DVD player too. It only looks like crap on this TV, everything was fine with my Sanyo 25" CRT and RCA 35" CRT.

This TV sat for a little over 2 years before I bought it, could that have prompted the fluid to turn?
Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's step by step.
If you do not understand any of the terminology given, please advise.
On you original post you show a picture of a bare CRT without the expansion chamber. Did you reinstall this crt and not put any fluid in??
If you did, that is the problem.

Assuming you have not disassemble the crt assy's, remove the screen.

Do not use a computer curser or any type of computer image as that is a static picture.

Use a normal cable/terrestial movie type moving image and look directly into the CRT's.

The Red Crt should have a normal picture, with the scanning lines apparent.

Using the Red Crt as a reference (for judging purposes) look at the green and blue crt's.

Can you see the scan lines?

If you have fluid contamination it should be obvious. If it looks like there is a scum/veil/curtain effect and the blue crt is the worst you have contamination.

If there is no contamination, there are two possibilities.

Failed CRT's (end of life)

Miss-adjustment.

If you have had this set when it had a good picture?

Have you made any adjustments or disassembled at all?

If you had this set when it had a good picture did the symptom happen all at once or very gradually over a couple of years.

Here is some information.

There are two focus adjustments, one is an optical adjustment (the thumb screw on the lense assy) and an electronic adjustment (which will effect the clarity of the scan lines when looking directly into the CRT.)

Looking directly into the CRT's you are observing the electronic focus. (you should see scan lines)

If you cannot see scan lines and there is no scum/veil effect you are either at the end of CRT life or the electronic focus is missadjusted. (if you did not adjust = end of life.)

You can also compare crts by putting up the center cross (this is with the main screen installed) from within the convergence menu and seperating the colors so that you can compare focus between the individual crt's. You should have a distinct color center cross for each of the crt's.

Hope this helps

Jesse
Cavi Mike

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lenses came off separately without fluid loss, you're the one that informed me it was that way Wink

Thanks for the directions, hopefully it doesn't need tubes or else this thing is going in the trash.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2015 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com