Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
LG 42LD550 - fell and won't power on    

dg10464

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: LG 42LD550 - fell and won't power on Reply with quote

The sheet rock gave and my tv fell about 3 feet. The screen does not appear to be visibly damaged from the outside. Out of anger I was ready to throw the tv in the trash, instead I figured I open it and see how bad the damage looked because this fine worked fine prior to the fall and carries a superb picture. Upon opening the tv I noticed a burn mark under the power board. I removed the power board and it appears that the varistor made contact with the steel frame during the fall and shorted. Being that I have never attempted television repair before I hoped to get some insight from the experts. I have located the power board alternative at a very reasonable price and I almost order it but I have another issue. If I lift the tv set and flip it from side to side I hear what sounds like broken glass or something I have no idea what that can be but does not sound good. I do not want to spend money on the power board unsure of what broken internally. I ordered varistor to replace the burned one as an inexpensive experiment although I'm not sure if anything else could have burned, the tv was plugged in but turned off at the time that it fell. Any help would be extremely appreciated. The pics are in the links of the power board and the burn on the frame.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7iZnr7CWdAKaURHV1JuWG9lMkk/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7iZnr7CWdAKSFVjbjF3d2tiN1U/view?usp=sharing
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

JTS1957

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Varistor? / VDR? / MOV? is probably still good.

1) I'd check fuse too.
2) While you have boards out shine a strong flashlight into any/all holes or cutouts on back of panel while observing front of screen for cracks, spider webs, etc. You can try same from front, there the idea is screen should appear uniform all over.
3) You may have broken one or more CCFL bulbs.
dg10464

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your swift assistance. That makes perfect sense, definitely sounds like broken bulbs. Are the bulbs easy to access and replace? Do you recommend that I buy a power board? I will shine my flashlight through as you suggested. I would love to be able to fix this set and touch up on a new education in TV repair..
JTS1957

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuse good or bad?

Here's a hint as to what you're in for:
http://www.lcdparts.net/howto/instruction/InstructionDetail.aspx?InstructionID=54
JTS1957

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. Embarassed
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

dg10464

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you JTS, those illustrations and directions are very helpful. Seems like a bit of a project. I will open the screen up today and see how many bulbs broke, price them, and take it from there.. I'm thinking anything over 125 and I'll opt for a new larger TV.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2015 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com