Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Magnavox 46'' FP4640 W104 Convergance   Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Rockstar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Magnavox 46'' FP4640 W104 Convergance Reply with quote

The convergence on my Magnavox 46'' FP4640 W104 chassis PTV710-AH01 does not line up with any of the three colors around the outer part of the picture but when you look at the convergence cross it lineup perfect its just as you go out away from the cross nothing lines up right. so if anyone has an idea. Thanks
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to help, I need the degree of missconvergence. Also, does both the red and blue adjust on the center cross?

Jesse
Rockstar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not sure on how to tell it by degree but i put a picture on a cd to put in dvd player of a grid and all the line are stright but like i said the middle lines up but as u go out the lines on the grid shown there not line up on sides and top and bottom. when i got the tv it needed coolant change so i change it after that we got ever thing lined back up, then the green crt anode connector went bad so i replaced it but now it wouldnt line up with other so we move others but none will line up on the outer part now. yes the blue and red adjust on cross.
Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You made a OOP's.

I know, hind site is soooo clear.

You should always converge the center cross before working with any of the CRT's. After replacing or reconfiguring any color of CRT you should adjust THAT crt to match the others, not visa versa.

That being said, it is possible that in the course of working with the green crt you have not gotten the deflection yoke pushed up all of the way, or, if you did not remove the yoke it could have slipped down a bit causing your symptom.
Also, if you removed the expansion chamber completely from the crt in the course of changing the fluid, all bets are off and you will most likely have to do a major convergence alignment.

Now for the bad part. If a major convergence is necessary, you will have to MAKE a template as templates are no longer available. They are made from a large sheet of clear mylar. If you need the line spacing I can provide this information. You draw the lines on the mylar with a permanent, medium tip, black felt tip pen and a LONG straight edge.

The procedure is long and I will help if you need it. You will have to go into the service menu and you will need to be very carefull so as not to make things worse instead of better.

If you choose to have a service center correct this problem make sure you select a WARRANTY AUTHORIZED center as they will have all of the literature and materials necessary and the technician should be competent.
I would guestimate cost to be around $200.00 but I live in Alaska and things are more expensive up here.

Hope this helps

Jesse
Rockstar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read up about changing the fluid and i did have all crosses line up and did one tube at a time then line the tube back up with the two crt that i didnt touch, then i did the same with the next tubes. the yolks are all the way up. i didnt remove the chamber off the tube i remove the lens frame then i removed the plastic lens and cleaned it that way. i might be able to try what you saying i dont have any clear mylar so u can tell me what to do till i get some, cause the tv was great till i had to change that anode connector.Thanks
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This procedure is from the service manual and is very accurate. I do not believe there is any copyright concerns as this is an old set, the company does not support it at all anymore and the company has been absorbed by IBM. Go Figure!!!

CONVERGENCE

Digital Convergence Alignment of the PTV 7OO Series Chassis consists of any one or a combination of the three procedures described below.

1. The first procedure "Convergence Touch Up" allows for minor convergence adjustments of any color. With "Convergence Touch Up" one or two colors are assumed correct and used as reference for colors requiring alignment. This alignment is required for minor convergence adjustments. yoke replacement and the replacement of a single CRT or physical alteration of a Lens/CRT Assembly.

2 The second procedure "Mechanical Alignment" is required with Major convergence/Geometry Alignments. Yoke replacement. Convergence Module Replacement and the replacement of a CRT or physical alteration of a Lens! CRT Assembly

3 The third procedure "Major Convergence Geometry Alignment" required when a Convergence Module or all three CRT's are replaced. This procedure is also required if the Green Geometry needs adjustment.

Note: If the Screen Geometry of the Red or Blue gun is correct, use the "Convergence Touch Up" procedure to converge the Green using the Red or Blue as a reference.

Notes:
1 The set should be warmed up for at least 20 minutes before making any screen setup adjustments.
2 The raster of the GREEN CRT must be properly centered before going on to the geometry and convergence procedures.
3 After the green screen is adjusted for correct centering and geometry, its controls will not be used for convergence. The red and blue screen displays will individually be made to conform to the green, Thereby, centering and geometry will be preserved and convergence more easily accomplished

The purpose of following the path as shown is due to the interaction between crosshatch adjustments Each adjustment slightly effects the locations on either side and to a slightly lesser extent. the locations above and below.

Once you have reached the end of a row, press key #4 on the transmitter several times noting the previous adjustments for that row, and correct again, if necessary

When you are satisfied with all the adjustments in a particular row, move to the last location in that row and press the "M " key The screen will respond with the following: "CALCULATING. PLEASE WAIT"

Note: If the Convergence Mode is exited without storing the data, any changes made will remain until AC Power is removed from the set. When AC is applied to the set again, the original convergence settings will be displayed.

Continue with the other rows and adjustment locations When you reach the end of the 5th row, another screen will appear asking if the set is converged, or if you want to continue with more adjustments. Note: This entire procedure should be repeated in order to obtain best results

If the Green Geometry has been adjusted. Red and Blue convergence must be adjusted.

Selecting key #2 (for NO) will cause the display to return to the "Converge Menu" where you may then proceed to item #2 from this menu: Red to Green ConvergenceCONVERGENCE TOUCH UP

Convergence Adjustment Mode Entry and Exit

Note: This procedure is required for all of the following geometry and convergence adjustments. Using the remote Transmitter, enter the following seven-button sequence to activate the convergence mode. 06 - 25 - 97 - Menu

The "Opening Menu" will appear offering choices:
Channel 3
Use Channel?, ? to
Select a Channel with Video

Remote control key Functions:
?, ? +, - :Adjust Convergence
M: Advance "cross" location
2, 8, 4, 6 : Move "cross" location Up, Down, Left, Right
1: Recalculate
3: Exit Convergence

M: Begin Convergence

Geometry Adjustment
Please enter the "Convergence Adjustment Mode" by following the procedure as detailed in the previous text.
Although a signal pattern will not be seen on the screen, a signal is still required in order to lock the system to vertical and horizontal sync. After entering the "Convergence Adjustment Mode", temporarily pull the Jumper Plug at TP5 on the Digital Convergence Panel. Tune the set to a signal source and then replace the Jumper Plug. Upon selecting item M from the first menu, the ôConvergence Menuö will appear featuring 5 possible selections.
Channel 3
Convergence:
1. Green geometry
2. Red To Green Convergence
3. Blue To Green Convergence
4. Green To Red Convergence
5. Green To Blue Convergence

Press button #1 from the menu and the screen will display a small green crosshatch at the left edge of the screen, half way down from the top. Attach the Screen Template with low-tack adhesive tape to the corners of the PTV's Screen Frame. Use the Up (?), Down (?), Plus (+), and Minus (-) keys on the Remote Transmitter to position the on-screen crosshatch at the nearest intersection of plotted lines on the Screen Template. When you are satisfied with the positioning of the crosshatch, press the Menu button to move the crosshatch to the next intersection point (to the right).

The following keys also have a special function while in the Convergence Mode:
Key 1 on the Remote Transmitter will force the system to re-calculate.
Key 2 will cause the crosshatch to move UP a row.
Key 8 will cause the crosshatch to move DOWN a row.
Key 4 will cause the crosshatch to move to the Left.
Key 6 will cause the crosshatch to move to the Right.

Although these keys give you the ability to move all around the screen, the recommended method is to start at the center left edge and always moving to the right. The curser will follow the right path when you get to the right edge if you arrow right.

Hope this helps

Jesse
Rockstar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, ill give it a try, by the way do you know any easy way to get a projection tv with a manual nob convergance board to line backup all colors are out of place it a Magnavox 46" Projection RJ8530AK03
Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No such thing as easy on the manual convergence boards.

Go to http://www.samswebsite.com and put in dptv310

cost = $40.00

downloadable manual

Hope this helps

Jesse
Rockstar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how would i make this template like how many blocks and how many inches between then since its 46" tv. Thanks
Rockstar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all your help i got it working perfect again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2015 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com