Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Magnavox 46" Projection Input Problem Model# RJ8530AK03   Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Rockstar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Magnavox 46" Projection Input Problem Model# RJ8530AK03 Reply with quote

I have a Magnavox 46'' projection TV Model # RJ8530AK03 that as it's warming up the inputs flash/flicker more and sometime it shows what is on the channels when it flashes/flickers and also the super video scroll at an angle. Would there be any chip on a heat sink that the thermal tape or paste is going bad? If I keep the room below 80 degrees input work, but super video still scrolls.

Any ideas anyone, Thanks if you got them.

Last edited by Rockstar on Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

Rockstar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone every had this problem on any TV? I do not think I'm the only one to get a problem like this.

I still can't figure it out why it does it.

Last edited by Rockstar on Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Rockstar,

This set is about one hundred years old. Wink Cool .

Also, It would be better if you spoke the English language. Please use proper sentences, punctuation and spelling if you want us to understand what problem you are having. What you did say makes little sense.

Jesse
Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the spelling, but I touched it up so it should be better now, But yeah I know the TV is old made back in 1987, but it still has a sharp/bright picture and that is the only reason that I'm trying to find out what is causing the problem?
Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sorry, but I still am having a hard time getting a handle on your symptomatic description.

Quote:
that as it's warming up the inputs flash/flicker more and sometime it shows what is on the channels when it flashes/flickers and also the super video scroll at an angle.

Try this,
Be specific as to which input you are attempting to use. Do you or do you not have a picture on any of the inputs you are describing.
Cables can cause flickering, have you confirmed cable integrity.
Do you have flickering on terrestial broadcasting.
Does tapping on the board with an insulated tool aggravate the problem.
Try calling your super video by the appropriate name so little ol me doesn't get confused. (S-Video is the correct term)

The only thing thermal paste does is get hard and loose it's ability to cool so it then causes chip failure which is the opposite of your thermal process your describe.
Quote:
as it's warming up

Jesse
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TV has two Rca inputs and both do the same. I get picture and sound on both. The rca cable is good. Terrestrial broadcasting worked fine.

I get two different things that happens on the Rca inputs.

1. It will do like a quick flash that ain't really bright.

2. It will flick quick with like a line in middle of screen that you will see and hear what's on the cable channel you left it on, because you have to go into menu to choose which input you want.

Tapped around and nothen happened.

The S-Video or what the TV menu of mines calls it S-VCR but still the same. It has sound and video but pictures roll Vertical very fast and you can't make nothen out.

I'm sorry if I'm confusing you, but I don't know what to call it. I'm describing it best I can. Sad
JTS1957

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jethro Bodine School of mathematics here.

+100
_____
-2009 (carry the one)
_____
78 years left until it is "about one hundred years old." Laughing
Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much better, Razz

Quote:
2. It will flick quick with like a line in middle of screen

Does this mean that during the "flash" that the picture collapses into a thin white line so that all that is left is the sound?

If it does, it should be doing it during the terrestial broadcast also.

If it is collapsing, do not run the set this way as it will damage the CRT's in very short order.

Also, is there a snapping sound when the flash occur's??

If none of the above is correct, is it simply a momentary brightness change??

Jesse

Oh and Mathmatical Jethro, very funny, it sounds like you should know from personal experience. Me, I'm approaching 101 - 40 + 4 & Math was always an exageration of the simplistic Laughing Laughing Laughing
Rockstar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does this mean that during the "flash" that the picture collapses into a thin white line so that all that is left is the sound?

when it happens, it is not a thin white line but a line with terrestrial broadcast that you see very quick. picture never collapse.

Quote:
Also, is there a snapping sound when the flash occur's??

When it happens you get a pop or I guess you can call it a snap sound follow by whatever the sound is on the terrestrial broadcast. It only pops/snaps one time till the line comes again.

Quote:
If none of the above is correct, is it simply a momentary brightness change??

The first one I guess is a change in brightness. I never get any snapping/popping sounds from it.
Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, lets see if you are getting a spark gap discharge first. disconnect one crt socket at a time and leave disconnected and turn set on. only leave one crt at a time disconnected. I know the picture looses that color but it is the simplest way to determine spark gap discharge.

When there is a spark gap discharge or HV discharge it will momentarily disrupt the picture in sort of a flash effect like you describe. If the problem is still there after you have verified all of the crt's the next thing in a row is the HV discharge from the second anode. If the effect is frequent it would be simplest to have the front inspection plate removed and simply lay on the floor and observe the upper part of the crt's where the second anode attaches when you turn on the set.

Under no circumstances put any part of your body (fingers etc) around these leads. do not try to disconnect, they are installed with a silicone sealer and are not removable. any shock recieved from this area risks physical harm and even possible death if you are in poor health or the circumstances are right.

Simply observe. If you have a HV discharge it will be like a momentary lightning happening. It helps if you have darkened the room.

Lets stop there until your response.

Jesse
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2015 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com