Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Mistsubishi WD-57733 Cracked Fresnel Screen?    

wachalookinat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Mistsubishi WD-57733 Cracked Fresnel Screen? Reply with quote

Mitsubishi 57" TV
Model WD-57733
Chassis unknown

I just put a new bulb in my beloved big screen that has been sitting in storage for nearly a year. The TV fired right up and I was very happy until I noticed some horrible cracks in the screen, One that goes all the way across and a few that stem from it. I did a little research and learned that there are two screens. It appears that the one effected in my tv is the fresel screen, as the outside screen look and feels fine.

I am wondering if someone can confirm my findings by looking at this picture of the problem. Also if this is the problem, can someone suggest where I could buy a new fresnel screen? Also, are all fresnel screens the same or are they manufacturer/model specific? I wonder if I can get a scrap tv that is the same in size or bigger and just use the fresnel screen out of it. Or if there is a company that sells sheets of this material to be used for universal screens?

Thanks for all of your help!! Justin Olympia, WA
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

kuhurdler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id guess cracked mirror. Only one way to tell for sure. Open it up.
wachalookinat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, and thanks for your response!!

The mirror was my 1st instinct also, however when I move the screen or "flex it" the crack gets smaller (I guess i could have mentioned this in earlier post). I have looked everywhere for a repair manual, with no prevail. Can anyone send me detailed directions on removing the screen and or accessing the mirror? Or Does anyone have the repair manual for this tv by any crazy chance? Any and all help is much appreciated. Thanks a million, Justin
wachalookinat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote

I took my tv apart and found that it is indeed the mirror, just as you suggested. Can I replace this with any type of mirror cut to size? Or is this a specific type of mirror? Thanks, Justin
kuhurdler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend buying the replacement rather than cutting one to size at a glass place. Those TV mirrors have much thinner glass than your typical wall mirror.
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

wachalookinat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: update: solved Reply with quote

Hello, I just wanted to let you know that before I read your post I called a few local glass shops to get prices on a mirror roughly 4x3 ft. The first shop quoted me almost a hundred dollars and they weren't sure that the glass they had would work. The second quoted $50.00 and told me " a mirror is a mirror". I taped the glass together the best I could and then removed it from its holding brackets. I used Gorilla Tape, that stuff rocks. It held together nicely for me. I transported it to the glass shop where he traced it out and had it cut for me in about 15 minutes. The mirror that was in the tv was reflective on both sides, the mirror he cut was not. This worried me but I paid for the mirror and brought it home. I cleaned it up the best I could (vinegar & newspaper works awesome) and installed it in the television. I fired it up and presto! Worked like a charm. My television never had a better picture. I assume that is because the bulb was on its way out when I bought it. I am sooooo glad I took the time to do a little research before getting rid of this thing. Thank you for all your help, and I hope this encourages others to take repairs into there own hands! Justin[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2015 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com