Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics
 
   
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
   Log inLog in 
New TV suggestions...?    
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> Anything Goes
 
Author Message
HammerDown



Joined: 18 Feb 2009
Posts: 47

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: New TV suggestions...? Reply with quote

I've been doing research(my head hurts) for a 45"-50" plasma or maybe a LCD. (I like the plaz picture)
I've always had a good feeling about Panasonic products but would like to get feedback from the TV Guru's here which brands are more reliable and trouble free than others.
16 great years with my Toshiba 35" CRT but I'm not seeing too many big screen Toshiba's in Plasma or LCD.
Thanks for any feedback
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

JTS1957



Joined: 21 Jan 2009
Posts: 2305
Location: Far, Far Away

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't build 'em like they used to...

Only risk/spend the amount of money that you would be thrilled if you got 3 to 7 years out of the set.
HammerDown



Joined: 18 Feb 2009
Posts: 47

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTS1957 wrote:
They don't build 'em like they used to...

Only risk/spend the amount of money that you would be thrilled if you got 3 to 7 years out of the set.

Well put...it does appear to be quite a gamble. $$$
kuhurdler



Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Posts: 2852
Location: Overland Park, KS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked a gentleman here that same question. I thought his response was very wise:

Quote:
I would stay with the major brands, look at the native resolution of the panel - not what resolution the electronics can process. I would also check to see who does the warranty service and if it is available locally. With this information in hand I would price shop. Top current brands are Sony, Samsung, Sharp, Mitsubishi and JVC. The one technology I would definately stay away from is the Projection LCD/DLP/whatever they want to call it. These units use a lamp and have a relative short lifespan and use a consumable (lamp) that goes out every 2 - 3 years and to top it off the light engine has a non cleanable filter that plugs up and causes a light engine failure. The light engines are very expensive.
HammerDown



Joined: 18 Feb 2009
Posts: 47

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuhurdler wrote:
I asked a gentleman here that same question. I thought his response was very wise:

Quote:
I would stay with the major brands, look at the native resolution of the panel - not what resolution the electronics can process. I would also check to see who does the warranty service and if it is available locally. With this information in hand I would price shop. Top current brands are Sony, Samsung, Sharp, Mitsubishi and JVC. The one technology I would definately stay away from is the Projection LCD/DLP/whatever they want to call it. These units use a lamp and have a relative short lifespan and use a consumable (lamp) that goes out every 2 - 3 years and to top it off the light engine has a non cleanable filter that plugs up and causes a light engine failure. The light engines are very expensive.

I've been seeing a lot of Samsung's plasma's/lcd's but never thought they were a quality manufacture when it came to big screen tv's.
Panny, Sony and especially the high $$$ Pioneer's.
Sharp for quality and reliability...really?
I've owned some very nice JVC stereo components but never TV's
Guess I better broaden my search.
Thanks for the feedback.
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

rrobor



Joined: 18 Jul 2009
Posts: 9
Location: East coast

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plasma is an old technology and most of the large manufacturers have stopped making them as they were just too much trouble. They may still sell Plasma but its rebadged LG mainly. So its LCD and that lasts less than 10 years probably average is 5.
HammerDown



Joined: 18 Feb 2009
Posts: 47

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rrobor wrote:
Plasma is an old technology and most of the large manufacturers have stopped making them as they were just too much trouble. They may still sell Plasma but its rebadged LG mainly. So its LCD and that lasts less than 10 years probably average is 5.


That's a shame, to spend $$$ for a new TV that may only last 5 years! Rolling Eyes
My trusty 35" Toshiba is still going strong...since 1993 Wink
Jesse Mack



Joined: 22 May 2008
Posts: 600
Location: The Last Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Plasma is an old technology


Not

LCD technology is older than plasma by far.
They had LCD before Plasma was even in the think tank.

Advantages of LCD (including LED backlit) = runs cool, good picture, light weight.
Disadvantages of LCD (Excluding LED Backlit in reference to backlight failures only) = Very Fragile, Backlights Fail, Washes out in high ambient light conditions, Poor high angle viewing.

Advantages of Plasma = Generates its own light (no backlight required), good picture, excellent high angle viewing, does not washout in high ambient light conditions, not nearly as fragile as LCD, longer life.
Disadvantages of Plasma = Heavy, Uses more electricity, runs at a higher temperature although the newest units are much better.

Some manufacture's stopping production of Plasma had nothing to do with Plasma technology. It's all about money. LCD's are CHEAPER to build therefore profit margin is higher. The light at the end of the tunnel is the LED Backlit LCD televisions. The Backlight can be replaced on these sets so the overall life should be good excepting for they will still be a fragil set. By fragil I mean a 2 year old child with a foos ball bat can break a lcd tv screen.

I hope this clears up the many misconceptions of current television.

Jesse
HammerDown



Joined: 18 Feb 2009
Posts: 47

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the informative feedback...I'm about to pull the trigger on a Panny 50" GT Plasma.
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2015 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com