Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Orion EG32 Dead    

mrfixit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Orion EG32 Dead Reply with quote

hi guys/gals
here's my story. storm went thru. suffered low and high voltages. mostly low with surges of high that finally blew lights out! 32" ORION ( E-GEAR model EG32 mainboard#TMB552A) was on standby. i thought that was safe? i have 2 other tvs that made it thru ok. anyway it's dead with a blown fuse(shattered)that just blows the second you plug it in after replacement! but nothing looks fried? been doin some readin here and my hopes are up! i'm not a TV guy but a fixit guy. parts iden and replacement is something i can do. i do have a basic understanding of what the parts do. i have an ohm/voltmeter(digital cheapy). i'm also in my senior yrs suffering from all the known curses. so keep that in mind if i disappear for awhile.thanks

i've got more pics

Last edited by mrfixit on Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

JTS1957

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best action is to pull main breaker/fuse upon storms entering your locality.
Check semiconductors in power supply and for grins, the Horizontal output transistor. Cool
kuhurdler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After JTS's suggestions
Check D501 thru D504 with the diode setting of your digital multimeter. Those 4 make up the bridge rectifier.

Then test with TH501 removed. That is the thermistor that does the degaussing.
JTS1957

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check Q501 FET, R501 surge resistor and ICP501 circuit protector.

No need to pull TH501 unless the degaussing relay is energized.

Sure there is no alternate model number? I can't find any info with one you gave.
mrfixit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no other model# i can find. i did do a google on the mainboard and it came up orion/sansui i believe. ok i set MM to diode. it shows a 1 and when i touch together it shows oo2-3. three diodes say 003 either direction. d504 says 1 and 450. thermistor on same setting says 005/008. i think i have the degauss wiring plug pulled if it's the 2 prong in pic next to thermistor. which black box is the relay for degauss? i'm not sure on how to test other mentioned components or their location. thanks
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

JTS1957

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrfixit wrote:
three diodes say 003 either direction.

Unsolder either end of each of these diodes and retest "out of circuit." If they still read low, they are bad and you'll need to replace.

Many times on the rebadged units, another sticker is affixed over the original one?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2015 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com