Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Philips 42PF94310/378 vertical line    

c9h9no3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Philips 42PF94310/378 vertical line Reply with quote

I have a Philips Flat TV - HDTV model number 42PF94310/378 My problem is, now when I turn in on there is approximately 3-4" black vertical line going up the screen (near the center of the screen). I'm decent with fixing technical problems on computers etc, but I don't really know much with televisions and what could be causing this problem. Should I take it in for repair, or is there something i can replace fairly easily?

Thanks for your help!
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

c9h9no3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a image of the problem im describing.

http://tinyurl.com/6gravdl
KMpuggy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like something to do with a buffer board. Maybe that certain part of the board has had it, or ribbon failure or loose connection.
c9h9no3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know how I would identify the failing buffer board?
KMpuggy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im the same as you, more into PC repair, not really touched tellys but im here because im also having problems. Very Happy

Have a watch of this, might give you some idea about the fault finding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hVi5gd0aec

With my telly ive got a buffer board on the side, and one on the bottom, some have them on the top and bottom etc. They are a long strip like board with ribbons connected to it, it will be something to do with the connection/board directly where the line is on your screen.
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

c9h9no3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing video, cant wait to jump into this. Thanks!
c9h9no3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, Im 90% sure Ive found the problem and a new board would not be the solution.

While removing the ribbon that coorilated to the black bar on the screen I found that some of the wires within the ribbon have become exposed and broken causing the short. Now the bad thing is it looks like the other side of this ribbon is connected to the panel itself. Any know how there would be a way to repair?

I included some images, sorry if the quality is poor.

Particular bad ribbon
http://tinyurl.com/66smr9q

Close shot of broken and exposed wire
http://tinyurl.com/45sjtx7

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

EDIT:

For the close shot, if you look to the right of where my finger is pointing, you can somewhat see the thick black line on the ribbon running up and diagonal. In the middle or so the wire starts to extrude out of that black line. Really hard to see on this close of a shot.
KMpuggy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not good news i dont think. Most flat screen tellys are like you said, with the ribbon built into the panel. So you cant just replace them, its either a new panel which is costly, or the only other thing is try and repair/bodge the ribbon.
c9h9no3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really dont think that the ribbon is recoverable. Do you know a way to repair/bodge/mickey mouse the ribbon?
c9h9no3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to ask to many questions, any idea where i should look for fair priced replacement panels for this television?

EDIT

I found the panel, it looks to be approx 160$.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2015 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com