Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
RCA 27F554T (CRT) -- Dead after lightning strike.    

golem

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: RCA 27F554T (CRT) -- Dead after lightning strike. Reply with quote

make - RCA
model - 27F554T (CRT)
chassis - M34M31

This TV 2 years ago, while only 1 month old, got an indirect hit by lightning. The bolt struck the next door neighbors tree and took out everything electrical in her home while in mine, it effected only this TV and a clock (yes, single family homes 30 foot apart, lightning strike over 100' away!).

Anyhow, the unit has no audio or video. When first turned on the video produces a very short white burst combined with a slight audio pop followed immediately by a complete shut down. If I continue to cycle the on/off switch the video flash will get progressively stronger but never more than a simple flash.

I'd like to put this TV back on line but only if I'm advised it could possibly be something as simple as a self replaceable <$70 part. Anything much more and...well, it is a CRT. Wink

Cheers.
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

golem

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: A bit more info... Reply with quote

Finally decided to look closely at the innards of this TV. I've actually taken the board completely out for closer inspection. The fuse is fine and I visually find nothing that looks scorched by the lightning BUT, I do see 2 capacitors that exhibit moderate swelling at the top ends (sides of cylinders look norm). Are these likely weak spot components susceptible to the lightning strike? Should I just attempt replacement of these two caps or is there likely additional damage on the board?

The only reason I'm revisiting this is due to there being absolutely no walk-in TV repair centers any more. This CRT (albeit essentially new) is not worth a service call.

Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2015 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com