Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
RCA crt Remote-Control 'Volume' ^v Doesn't Work???    

HammerDown

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: RCA crt Remote-Control 'Volume' ^v Doesn't Work??? Reply with quote

Hi experts, real quick thanks to this place my old 35" Toshiba Tube TV is still working GREAT! And all because on one .99 cent capacitor you helped me to FIX! Wink

*New question, I have a RCA XL100 (crt) and on the remote control the 'volume controls and other buttons' don't work > should I crack it open?
The on/off button works fine.

Model #F25281
Chassis #CTD185AB7

Thanks for any advice
Regards, Ray Cool

Last edited by HammerDown on Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

JTS1957

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If buttons on the TV DO work & the button(s) on the remote hand unit do not, try a GE/RCA universal remote. Should be ready to operate GE/RCA right out of the box.

If that cures - there's 1 solution.
Then you can crack it (the original remote) open and try cleaning contacts.
Don't scrub too hard, if there's any conductive material still on them, you may remove it.
HammerDown

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, TV buttons work fine and on the remote, the on/off button only work.
Thanks! Wink
HammerDown

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, took the remote apart > very dirty inside and like an oily coating on the green circuit board and back of rubber push pad.

*Carefully wiped the green circuit board with denatured alcohol.
*Cleaned both sides of the rubber push pad with a tooth brush and detergent.

Now, ALL buttons work EXCEPT and still, the volume up-down Confused

Could someone PLEASE explain how the back of the rubber push buttons work on the green tracer board > I'd just like to know.
Thanks, Ray
JTS1957

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubber is treated with a conductive coating at each button. When a button is pressed, the conductive material makes contact with the traces on the board shorting them together for as long as the button is being held down.

When grease, grim or dirt work their way into the remote the contact area becomes limited causing the user to press harder &/or grind down on the button. This eventually wears down the conductive coating. Once conductive coating is gone from a particular button (by wear or by cleaning too aggressively) it will no longer work.

Obviously, the often used buttons will go first.
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2015 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com