Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
RCA P46924 - Chirping when plugged in, nothing else    

WoR496

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: RCA P46924 - Chirping when plugged in, nothing else Reply with quote

I'm on a wild goose chase it seems to find the problem with this tv - to start here is the model and chassis #'s

RCA P42694
PTK195M26A

Someone in town wanted to get rid of it and said it would be free if i came and go it. They were watching it a few nights ago and said it shut off, and wouldn't come back on. I figured i might be able to fix it with some help from the large body of smart tinkerer's like myself out there (haven't dabbled much with tv's before).

What i've gathered so far is that it may need a new flyback transformer, and a horizontal output transistor.

All the TV will do is chirp constantly while plugged in, and will keep chirping until unplugged, when unplugged it will chirp 4-5 more times while the frequency of the chirps slows, as if whatever caps it has are draining.

I've found the transistor that i believe to be the HOT, i took the multimeter too it, and on all terminals it has no resistance ( using the setting that is audible when short). I'm assuming this would be the reason it quit? Or would the transistor need to be removed from the board to properly test it?

I also noticed that there are a few resistors that are open according to my multimeter, i hope for some bizarre reason this is normal, because if not i guess this tv isn't worth salvaging if i have to go and replace half the parts on the "main board".

I see no discoloration of the board anywhere that would point to a major short and some arching going on, and the previous owners said it didn't make any noise, it just shut off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. A service manual would be great also if anyone has access to one.

Thanks
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

kuhurdler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree that the flyback is bad.

Test the HOT with the diode setting of your multimeter.

also tell us what component numbers are on the board next to those resistors. You should be able to test them on-board like that unless they are outside the tolerance of your meter.
WoR496

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the quick reply. The results i posted about the HOT were using the diode setting on the m-meter. I will do more thorough testing this evening on the resistors to see what others appear to be open. The odd thing is, it only seems to read open on the blue colored resistors, on any ohm setting, but the others show resistance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2015 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com