Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Recommend a Particular Optical Magnifier for Tiny Solder Job    

COlt Hero

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Recommend a Particular Optical Magnifier for Tiny Solder Job Reply with quote

Recommend a Particular Optical Magnifier for Tiny Solder Job

My '09 Panasonic Plasma (TH-46PZ850u) has been down and out for about 4-5 weeks now and I'd like to get it going again. It needs a capacitor replaced on the MC201 "micro" power supply sub-board (or maybe just simply removed ... although I can't get corroboration for that).

Anyway, this cap is VERY TINY! Can barely see it without magnification. Doesn't even LOOK like a cap. Looks more like a rectangularly-shaped solder joint ... that's how small it is!

Can anyone recommend a magnifying lens of some kind suitable for electronics work that is reasonably priced? I was thinking (loose) loupes at first, but now I think something mounted on frames would be better (just seems like it would be more comfortable ... maybe loupes mounted on a frame?).

The one criticism I see on many of the lower-priced options is that you have to be VERY CLOSE to the object (an inch??) otherwise the image is blurred. Also, plastic is probably not as clear as glass? Could I just use magnifying glasses from, say, Wal-Mart ... maybe the strongest they have (which might only be 3x)?
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

JTS1957

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowest magnification:
WalMart highest power reading glasses - will allow a general over-view. Approx. 12 inch focus.

Medium magnification:

With the x10 lens, will easily allow for reading the silk screened location number on the board next to that surface mount part. Approx. 4 to 6 inch focus.

Highest magnification:
A lens off an old camera will allow reading of writing ON the surface mount parts. Depends on camera lens - mine about 1 inch.

Glass is always better than plastic.
kuhurdler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're talking about the fix shown in this:
http://www.riddledtv.com/journal/PanasonicPlasmaTenBlinks/

I suspect you're going to need to replace that IC too. Or you can just order a new MC201.
COlt Hero

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTS1957:

Is that just an example (the Medium magnification pictured) or a particular product that you know works well at a reasonable price? For example, Harbor Freight sells something that *looks* similar, but the reviews are mixed (as is usually the case with HF stuff ... you get what you pay for).

kuhurdler:

Yeah, that's the fix. NorCal715 replaces the IC AND the cap on BOTH MC201 and MC301, but others have said you most likely only have to replace the cap (or caps) that are bad. When I froze MC201, the TV came up and ran, so that's the one I'm going to replace the cap on. However, a poster on that thread claimed to have removed the cap and run the TV successfully for *weeks*. Also, on another forum, I found mention of a Panasonic service tech saying Panasonic released some Service Bulletin saying the cap simply needed to be removed (but no first-hand corroboration of this). If *that's* the case, then my understanding is it's probably shorted internally (allowing DC voltage through), and so removing it would once again block the DC voltage. What do you think of that?
JTS1957

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit on the expensive side. I've had mine for a couple decades and am still using them.
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2015 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com