Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Samsung HCN4727w    

doin12volt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Samsung HCN4727w Reply with quote

Me again. I have a samsung hcn4727w that was brought in with bad convergence.. I metered all the resistors on the convergence board, and they checked out fine so I replaced the STK-040's and the set seemed to be ok, but convergence was still off. I reconverged the set centered everything with the notches in the top, bottom and sides of the screen (where the sensors are) and saved the settings.
The tv looks good, but in the convergence menu, the BLUE grid seems "smoky" or out of focus.. I tried adjusting the focus on it , and it is apparently as good as it gets. I have the service manual and it is well, it isnt written the best.
When I go to "perect focus" it says no sensor data, even though I made sure the alignment grids are RIGHT ON the sensors! Arrrgh.
If i feed a blank white screen as an input, I get a yellow/green "haze" around the top and bottom corners (sort of like an "antique" photograph) Its not REALLY bad, and not even really noticable while watching tv or dvd's...but I KNOW its there...if you know what i mean. - any ideas?
One last question - the white colors seem WAAAY to bright, and if there is a picture with a white object bordering with a black object , you can see a "blue glow" from the white into the black... but the convergence is set fine!
Any input on this matter will make you my personal hero..

thanks again!

-Josh
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The smokey blue effect may, and I repeat may, be caused by misadjustment of the optics OR focus adjustments. To adjust, Look directly into the blue crt lense and adjust the electronic focus adjust on the focus block. (make sure you have the focus and not the G2 adjustment knob) after you have this adjusted to optimum, have another person help and adjust the optical focus adjustment. To do this loosen the wing nut on the lens assy and rotate the wing nut left or right to achieve proper optical focus. Note that this makes a large difference in the focus on the screen.

As to the Perfect Focus problem, If you converged the set from within the service mode you forgot to press the perfect focus button on the front of the set before exiting the service menu. This will cause the error message of "no sensor data"

Hope this helps

Jesse
doin12volt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adjusting the blue lense will require reconvergence when done, correct?

I tried going into the convergence mode in the service menu, i hit the perfect focus, it did all 3 colors, got to 100% and the screen went white and just stayed there until i turned off the tv... it still says there is no sensor data... GRR.

Doesnt the word Samsung mean "torture" in some far off little known asian dialect?? LOL
Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, adjusting the blue lense will have no effect on convergence.

Perfect Focus:

There were some minor changes made to the Convergence modules, and Main pcb's for these models. It is possible that after replacing one or both of these, the Perfect Focus Feature will lock up.

Solution: If this situation occurs, a software adjustment is necessary.
As Usual, always record the existing data values before changing them.
1: Go into convergence mode (POWER ON, MUTE,1,8,3)
2: Press #8 for 2 seconds. This should put the unit into a convergence sub menu, and the first adjustment will be R-H-Level.
3: Using the VOL +/- buttons, adjust value to 200. Press CH DOWN button to select the next adjustment, G-H-Level. Adjust Value to 200.
4: Repeat this procedure for the following adjustments:
B-H-Level
R-V-Level
G-V-Level
B-V-Level
5: Press $8 again, to return to convergence mode.
6: Press Perfect Focus. Unit should execute satisfactorily
7: Press S-MODE button to exit.

Hope this helps.

Jesse
doin12volt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh oh. I think I really screwed up now.

I went to adjust all the values as you said, and after the last one, it said IC2=1 or something like that. When went to exit, i hit either the vol+ or vol- button with my thumb, and the tv went into some sort of "perfect focus" thing across the screen, green only, and then turned off. When i turned it back on, it has audio, on screen menus, everything..EXCEPT a picture on any input. if you push mute-1-8-3- now, you cannot see the convergence grid anymore. Also, I tried turning off the tv, mute-1-8-2-power and went into the RESET on the menu. it reset the tv, but i still have no video.. im lost- i dont see anything that even mentions this in the service guide.
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, maybe so, The correction I showed you was from a service bulliton and the sub menu is a menu the manual does not talk about.

I do not know how to get you out of your predicament.
I think I would use the service manual and check all of the initial values within the main service menu (not the convergence menu) They cover a wide range of adjustments like sub brightness, sub color drives etc etc. Move slowly and deliberatly and do you best to engage brain on a full nights sleep as you cannot believe how bad you can mess up your set.

After doing this I think, since it has audio and on-screen menu, I would CAREFULLY use the Mute-1-8-3 wait 5 seconds, and even if the grid does not come up enter the #8 for 2 seconds and see if I got lucky and was able to reenter the sub menu. If you are lucky and are able to re-enter the sub menu, enter the data values you were supposed to record (you did do this I hope). If all returns to normal then you can retry the procedure. It is apparent that you might have went out of range by accidently hitting the wrong buttons.

Another thing. If the on screen display comes up when you try to enter the convergence mode, hit the S Mode key to exit then redo entering convergence mode. After entering convergence mode, stand by for about 5 seconds before attempting any adjustments or entering the sub menu.

Now for the bad part. If you cannot get into any of the convergence menu's, the only other thing you can try is to enter the convergence data initial settings. (see service manual) however, even if this works, and it would be the last thing I would try, a template will be REQUIRED to realign the set and it is tedius at best. (if you try this and it works the convergence will so far out of alignment you cannot even imagine.)

If all of the above fails, you might have to get the DCU (dynamic convergence unit) to get back and this also requires a major alignment and a template.

I would tell you to check the voltages on the chips but you indicated the on screen menu's are normal and this should pretty much say the circuits are only doing what they were told.

I hope this helps

Jesse
doin12volt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crud. I was figuring that would be the answer. This is a P55a chassis.. Is there ANY way to get this thing reset to factory specs??? I KNEW the second i hit that button i was doomed. It changed the setting without me even confirming the change.

Just as a side note... I can get a customer menu, but the service mode convergence grid is blank, and i have no "visible" sub menu (by holding down 8) anymore.

I am really wondering what i can do.

If you go into the regular menu and select convergence (customer menu) it appears fine until you select red or blue, then it goes to the customer converge screen, but no crosshairs at all!

I swear, I am about to revert to getting the 4 pound sledge out... lol

Can anyone possibly reset/reformat this board? :(
darrell323

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i am new here, I cannot believe this, but i happened to do the EXACT same thing on my tv.... im a screw-up i know. is ther a solution to this problem? if so can someone please help me?
darrell323

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is ther possibly a way I can reset the board in my tv? Is ther anyone who knows how to do that? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Darrell
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2015 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com