Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Samsung HL-S5086W DLP shuts itself off    

Wolverdog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Samsung HL-S5086W DLP shuts itself off Reply with quote

My Samsung 50" DLP, model # HL-S5086W has started shutting itself off. When it does so, three lights on the front (1 red, two green) blink and don't stop.

I shut it off, turned it back on, and within a minute it shuts off and the lights blink.

I unplugged it for 5 minutes, plugged it back in, turned it on, same result.
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for the manufacturing date on the back of the set. If the set was manufactured between March 2006 and Feb 2007 replace the lamp and the ballast with part numbers LAMP: BP96-01472A and BALLAST: BP47-00037A

Hope this helps

Jesse
Wolverdog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The date says March 2006, and the chassis # is L64D.

Should I do as you stated? I know it's nit-picking, but you did say "between".

Thank you Jesse.
Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, OK,

Remove "between" and insert "from" **** "to" ****

I'll get it right someday,

Jesse
Wolverdog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured as much, I just was looking for a cheaper way out. Sorry for being picky, and thank you for your responses!
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

Wolverdog

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: OK, now what? Reply with quote

First an update: After getting a good answer here last time (thanks again Jesse), I found that I had purchased an extended warranty, which I normally don't do.

So, the Geek Squad comes out (after a month), changes the lamp and ballast, and everything is fine. For a while. Now it's doing the same thing, but only once a day or so. This time, the red light blinks, the green one next to it stays dark, and the next green one blinks.

I may end up calling the Geek Squad again, but if I can fix it myself cheaply I may do that, rather than wait a month and miss the Super Bowl like I missed all the college bowl games.
Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had a extended warranty, I would never consider working on the set for two reasons.
1: Depending on how sensitive your service provider is, You could very easily void your extended warranty.
2: Some of the parts in this set are VERY expensive.

Hope this helps

Jesse
Wolverdog

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Jesse.

I called the Geek Squad and have an appointment for Feb 16th. :(

Back to my 19" tube and binoculars for the Super Bowl.
Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have an suggestion that will do no harm and will not cause any heartburn with your provider. Using a vacuum cleaner make sure all of the cabinet rear is clean of dust that may/could be causing a heat buildup

Jesse
joeroc123164

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: HLS5086w Reply with quote

I saw a repair tip on here for the HLS series Samsung DLP TVs.
The tip said to replace the lamp and ballast. The reason the lamp and ballast didn't work is because this series had bad DMD boards. What is most likely happening is that the DMD isn't telling the color wheel to turn on which in turn won't let the lamp turn on. The lamp circuit must detect that the color wheel is in motion before letting the lamp turn on so the heat won't destroy a color wheel that is staying in one position. These are sometimes intermittent and very difficult to diagnose(and expensive). You can't take the chance of buying a used one due to the fact that you might be buying another problem board. This has been a major headache for me in the past.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2015 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com