Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Samsung LN40B500P3FXZA - Tuner issues    

jeffcantor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Samsung LN40B500P3FXZA - Tuner issues Reply with quote

hello,
I have a 40" Samsung LCD TV (Model: LN40B500P3FXZA) Version SQ01
I am having two issues with it:
1. It won't tune certain OTA channels that our other TVs tune just fine. Keeps glitching and losing signal. I have tried swapping locations to see if it is the cabling but it is definitely an issue with the TV.
2. Deleted channels keep coming back. I remove the bad/weak channels from the lineup and then they reappear.

Seems like I can purchase a new main board for about $100, would this definitely fix it? Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

JTS1957

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly.

Has that set successfully worked IN THAT LOCATION, with that cabling in the past? IF no, it could still be a signal strength issue.
jeffcantor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTS1957 wrote:
Possibly.

Has that set successfully worked IN THAT LOCATION, with that cabling in the past? IF no, it could still be a signal strength issue.

No, I just recently cancelled cable so I don't know how long it has been bad.
If I move this TV to the kitchen coax connection it does the same thing.
If I move the kitchen TV to this TV's coax it works fine.

Is there any chance the tuner is just out of date with today's OTA signals? The TV is about 10 years old.
kuhurdler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible that it doesn't have an ATSC tuner. you could buy an external converter for it.
jeffcantor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuhurdler wrote:
It is possible that it doesn't have an ATSC tuner. you could buy an external converter for it.

No, it does have it. Only have tuning problems with about 2-3 of the 20 channels.
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

JTS1957

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Combo tuner, like most:

http://www.samsungparts.com/partslist.aspx?Catalog=Parts_and_Accessories&Category=LN40B500P3FXZA

What I'm trying to say is your antenna system, supplies a certain amount of signal. Which is enough for the smaller set, but the larger set may require more.

Also those 2 or 3 stations, are the all in the SAME direction from you as the rest?
jeffcantor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTS1957 wrote:
Combo tuner, like most:

http://www.samsungparts.com/partslist.aspx?Catalog=Parts_and_Accessories&Category=LN40B500P3FXZA

What I'm trying to say is your antenna system, supplies a certain amount of signal. Which is enough for the smaller set, but the larger set may require more.

Also those 2 or 3 stations, are the all in the SAME direction from you as the rest?

you may be onto something. This is the biggest tv we have. I had no idea bigger TVs required a stronger antenna signal, just assumed they amplified it themselves.

The problem channels are very close in direction 203 vs. 199 degrees and the tower distances are very similar 24 vs. 26 miles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2015 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com