Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Samsung LN40B630N1F - shorts from coax    

Thisisbuod

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Samsung LN40B630N1F - shorts from coax Reply with quote

My Samsung LN40B630N1F shut off and tripped a circuit breaker in my house. I found that the television works fine when the coaxial cable from the wall (no cable box or anything) is disconnected. If I connect the cable the tv shorts and trips the house breaker. There is no electrical current on the cable (per my Multimeter). If I connect the cable then plug the power cord into the wall outlet there is a large arc that comes from the ground connector on the plug to the ground on the outlet.
The tv is, otherwise, fine. All other inputs work fine.
I'm assuming something has gone bad in the digital tuner.
I'm not shy about opening the tv up or swapping parts on any of the boards. Just tell me where to dig in.
Thanks.
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

Thisisbuod

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody?
kuhurdler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something is shorted in your power supply. I'd put it on an isolation transformer and get the meter out to start probing around to identify where the short is.
Thisisbuod

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Do you happen to know where I could get a diagram of the boards in that specific tv? The only diagrams and/or service manuals I found cost money. I'd rather get one for free. Right now I only have a tablet and those torrent sites don't work very well on it.
JTS1957

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here and Here

Should be the same manual that they want money for. Don't expect the full coverage that you may have gotten in the CRT set days.
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

Thisisbuod

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! thanks guys. I'll let you know what I find. Hopefully I'll have time to open it up tonight.
Thisisbuod

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my 13 year old son figured out what the problem was while I was at work. There was no current on the cable line (like I stated previously) but there was 121 volts coming out of the ground (third prong) On the outlet the tv was plugged into. The tv only acted up when the cable was hooked up because the current on the outlet was grounding to the pole outside through the tv.
My son noticed the current was running at 60hz which made him suspect the electric short in the outlet so he unhooked the cable outside, hooked everything up inside, and checked for current coming out of the house on the cable line. I should have had him look at it in the first place. Lol.
He said to me, "it's ac so it's understandable that you didn't realize which direction it was coming from. "
kuhurdler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting back. I would not have thought to look at the receptacle. Did you guys change something recently to cause that?
Thisisbuod

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. We just moved in a month ago. Everything worked fine for the first couple weeks then this happened. The landlord is sending someone out. Till then, we ran an extension cord from an outlet in another room. Seems really weird that it happened spontaneously and is only in the living room.
I'm just glad my son figured it out.
Thanks guys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2015 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com