Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Samsung LN52B55 painfully vibrant text as PC monitor    

bigdan6248

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Samsung LN52B55 painfully vibrant text as PC monitor Reply with quote

I've used this Samsung as a monitor for my PC for over a year, and I recently upgraded video cards. I've posted this in a few other forums and no one has been able to help yet.

My PC build for the past year up until 2 weeks ago:

- ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
-AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
-GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi)
-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB)
-52" Samsung LN52B550 LCD

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

With this setup, everything looked perfect, text was fine, nothing was eye-straining, yadda yadda.

What I've changed:

-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)
-XFX HD-687X-CNFC Radeon HD 6870 2GB 256-bit

I bought the newer card for the purpose of having a Crossfire setup soon. The old card is no longer in production.

Here is the problem I've come across:

Text, especially in games like EVE Online which are text heavy, internet browsers, even the Windows 7 UI are extremely eye straining. All text has a white border around it that seems to be brighter than the rest of the "white" area and it makes the text very vibrant. Here are some pictures I took with my phone. Note the text in the address bar of the first picture and the text in the window of the second.

1) http://i43.tinypic.com/8zftck.jpg
2) http://i41.tinypic.com/192sg6.jpg

This all started after I initially installed the new Radeon card, and here are some of the things I've tried doing to fix it with no success:

-reinstall old card, trying both PCI slots
-reinstall new card, trying both PCI slots
-trying DVI-HDMI cable from new card to TV
-trying DVI-HDMI cable from old card to TV
-clean install of windows with old card
-clean install of windows with new card
-boot windows to safe mode
-adjust overscan-underscan via Windows 7
-adjust text size via Windows 7
-change picture size via the TV
-change picture mode via the TV
-change contrast, brightness, backlighting of the TV
-there is no issue when hooked up to my old 24" Westinghouse widescreen LCD monitor
-reset the Samsung to factory settings via the service menu

I've all but given up. I don't know what gremlin crawled in to my television but the bastard snuck in and I'm just about tired of looking for him.

If anyone can help, I'll be forever thankful. If any more info or pictures are needed just ask.

I should also add that HD cable signals and Blu Ray signals still look great on the TV.
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

bigdan6248

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, black text isn't actually black. It's like parts of it are blue, some is green, and it's not at all sharp.
kuhurdler

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try another cable if you can. It looks like what I've seen with a cheap vga cable, or a poor connection.
What type of cable are you using, and what resolution are you using?
bigdan6248

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the native 1920x1080 resolution, and it SEEMS like if I lower the resolution it helps a bit, but it's hard to tell.

As far as the cables, I've tried 3 different ones on each card during each fresh install. One of which is the mini-HDMI to HDMI that only works with my EVGA card and it came with it (and was the only cable I used when everything worked fine). None seem to resolve the issue.
bigdan6248

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISSUE RESOLVED: I tried using a VGA cable and a DVI-VGA adapter and the picture is once again perfect with no distortion.

Thanks to everyone for reading and/or suggestions.
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2015 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com