Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Sony Bravia KDL-40CX520 off colour and now ghosting    

simonfrav

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Sony Bravia KDL-40CX520 off colour and now ghosting Reply with quote

Model number: KDL-40CX520
Year: ~2008

This Sony Bravia started being off-colour on start-up about 4 months ago. The TV would be normal after 30 mins, which took progressively longer. Now the TV has started ghosting (parts of the image remaining for some time) and the off-colour does not go back to normal. Instead, over time, parts of the TV goes to patches of black over the first few minutes. There has been a strip up at the top, however, that has been normal throughout.

I have pulled the casing off and can't find anything obviously blown or out of place. I also updated the software and have tried leaving it unplugged for a while.

On other models, similar issues were isolated to an IC on the T-con board. The TV repair shops in my area refuse to touch it now that I've opened it - oops. Any troubleshooting advice?
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

kuhurdler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on your description, I'd try replacing that Tcon. You can get a used one really cheap here in the US. not sure what your market is like there.

My quick research indicates a part number of V315H3CPE6

Please confirm that before buying anything.
simonfrav

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

The part number on the t con board is esp_0b_s4lv0.4
I found one supplier for this but it's out of stock.

Also, this board seems a bit different to others in that the ribbons from the LCD to the board are not detachable. See the pic below.

http://uploadpie.com/bJj2r

1) any ideas on how I could get the part?
2) how would I attach the ribbons to the board?
simonfrav

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the suppliers that I've found so far:

http://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/detail.html?spm=a1z3o.7695460.0.0.8r92UF&id=535758481377

http://m.dhgate.com/product/original-lcd-logic-board-esp-0b-s4lv0-4/239479399.html#pd-103

http://www.pai-hang-bang.cn/gou.php?id=526321789274

Out of stock and the others selling to the Chinese market.
kuhurdler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that is your TCon. I think that is the panel driver... which is typically considered part of the LCD panel, and not replaceable.

I think I would probably benefit from some better pictures.
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

simonfrav

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tore the ribbon cable at the LCD end turning it over for pics.

I suppose this one can't be revived now Sad
kuhurdler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are basically "ironed" on at the factory. I can't imagine anyone being successful at reattaching it in a way that would work for the long term due to the heat/cool cycles of normal use.

I'd chalk this up to a "good attempt, lesson learned".
simonfrav

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, chalked up.

So I don't contribute so much to the ewaste out there: is there a way I can turn this into a lightbox?

Turning it on with the LCD removed doesn't work.

Also, are there any special uses for a (now) broken LCD? Other than a poor quality mirror.
JTS1957

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonfrav wrote:
Also, are there any special uses for a (now) broken LCD? Other than a poor quality mirror.

Put set all back together, have your local 'arteest'-type paint a masterpiece on the LCD screen, (signed, of course), mount it on your living room wall with appropriate lighting, brass plaque, etc. Voila.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2015 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com