Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Sony Bravia ribbon cable issue. kdl-46ex600   Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Zags

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Sony Bravia ribbon cable issue. kdl-46ex600 Reply with quote

Hey all, first post here. TV is a Sony kdl-46ex600.

I just picked up a TV from my boss at work. He was just going to throw it in the dumpster because of a "white line" down the right side of the screen. However, he said if I wanted to try fixing it, I could have it. Awesome.

So here's the deal, I think I've found what the problem is, but I'm not sure how to go about fixing it. I'm not even sure if it CAN be fixed... It's a ribbon cable with several corroded traces(? not sure about the terminology). It must have gotten wet and was left on.

Any ideas on how to go about repairing such a problem? Afraid I'm a little out of my league here. Is it even do-able? I'm considering trying to clean away the corrosion, then replace the bad traces with conductive epoxy or something like that. I know folks used to pin mod cpu's with automotive window defogger repair paint in the past, maybe that would work? I think it's too small for me to solder.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated Smile

Here's the culprit...

Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

JTS1957

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF that area is 'in line' with the bar defect in your picture ...
Try cleaning away flux with iso. alcohol on a qtip or old tooth brush and allow to fully evaporate and reinspect. Unless you know somebody was resoldering that area or unless you can see a bad connection, I'd stop there.
Next apply power and try gently rubbing along ribbon and see if has any effect on the bar.
Zags

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTS1957 wrote:
IF that area is 'in line' with the bar defect in your picture ...
Try cleaning away flux with iso. alcohol on a qtip or old tooth brush and allow to fully evaporate and reinspect. Unless you know somebody was resoldering that area or unless you can see a bad connection, I'd stop there.
Next apply power and try gently rubbing along ribbon and see if has any effect on the bar.

Fortunately, no one has tried to work on it yet. I'll give the alcohol a shot tonight and let you know how it goes!
Zags

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleaned the area and let it dry. No change as I rubbed the ribbon. I realized I missed part of your post, I do believe there are several bad connections right at the end of the ribbon cable.
JTS1957

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd try: Is that area 'in line' with the bar on the screen?

Zags wrote:
I do believe there are several bad connections right at the end of the ribbon cable
New picture?

If there are any bad contacts rubbing your fingernail along the plastic as close to the foil where they are supposedly bonded usually will cause bar to change/shrink/expand/disappear. Otherwise the cause lies elsewhere. Panel is possible.
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

Zags

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I didn't realize you were asking a question. Yes, it is in line with the bar on the screen. This is the best picture I was able to get. It looks like the copper was eaten away in several spots. Its much easier to see now that the corrosion is gone.

Large picture, linked.
http://imageshack.us/a/img27/9097/uszx.jpg

By the way, thank you for helping me with this. I really appreciate it.
JTS1957

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOT corrosion. Appeared to be flux.

Holy crap, Batman!

What happened on the extreme right end? (VCOM2?) Didn't look anything like that in first pix.
Zags

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTS1957 wrote:
NOT corrosion. Appeared to be flux.

Holy crap, Batman!

What happened on the extreme right end? (VCOM2?) Didn't look anything like that in first pix.

The area on the far right by vcom2 is actually totally fine. Something just went weird with the lighting in the photo. I took the picture pointing a flashlight at the wall with my neck, holding a magnifying glass with one hand, and my phone with the other Mr. Green
Zags

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for bumping this old thread, hope that's cool. I hate it when people don't finish threads like this, so I decided I wouldn't be one of those people.

Took forever for a couple things to come in, then I got busy with work stuff. Here's the little station I setup to try and get this done. Biggest problem is going to be the microscope I'm using. Thanks to the way light works, everything gets flipped horizontally and vertically as I work.

http://i.imgur.com/M0A83Wv.jpg

Here's what I've got to try and fix... 23 of these little buggers. Some worse than what you see in the picture. I'm going to try and repair the corroded areas by scraping the solder mask off the via's, and bridging to the corresponding trace in the ribbon cable by soldering in some 40 gauge wire.

http://i.imgur.com/xygYwyA.jpg

Wish me luck!
Zags

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was wrong, 23 was all I could count through a magnifying glass. Once I got it under a microscope, I found out it was actually 38. Not all so bad though, several I think I was able to fix with just a solder bridge. I'm cautiously optimistic at this point. I hate to get my hopes up, but it seems like everything is going well at this point.

Eight wires down, quite a few to go... I went back and resoldered that farthest left wire after I took the picture. The top just didn't look quite right.

Progress!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2015 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com