Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
SONY GDM-FW900 PROBLEM!    

TWIS-1986

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: SONY GDM-FW900 PROBLEM! Reply with quote

Hi all, noob here, im sorry if ive posted in the wrong section but im in need of some help, my sony gdm-fw900 crt monitor stopped working on me, the picture just went off, no bang no smoke just no picture, when i turn it on there is NO hv start up, the static thing that has to happen, and when i have the pc connected the orange lights blinks repeatedly and thats about it, if i remove one of the wires from i think its the d board that has the flyback on it i get a normal start up with degausse with the normal sounding relay click but no picture, i have some knowledge of looking inside the unit and i have a basic DMM i really dont want to throw this in the bin because its a rare monitor to come by thankyou.

ps, the flyback is making the normal sound as if its working, all 3 cathode heaters are on fine.
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your write-up is almost impossible to follow. (One forever running sentence)

Try this,

Disconnect any plugs from the video input 1 and 2 and turn off any connected computers.

Press the (I) (Power) button twice to turn the monitor off and then on.

Move the joystick to the right for 2 seconds before the monitor enters power saving mode.

If all four color bars appear (white,red,green.blue), the monitor is working properly. Reconnect input cables and check condition of computer(s)

Since the CRT heaters are on you have High Voltage.

If the previous does not have the bars you are going to need an O-scope.

Jesse
TWIS-1986

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there, thanks for your reply - i have tried the first step that you mentioned and no luck, i have no idea how to get this thing checked out! any ideas on how i can check components on the power g board i have a standard DMM sorry for my lack of knowledge ( and not making sence ) i really want to get this back together, also you say that i have voltage as there are 3 heaters - is this a good thing and im hoping the tube it ok?
Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry , I miss-spoke about the Heater and High Voltage. (I keep mixing TV vs Monitor Systems).

Due to the fact that the source for the heater voltage is on the G board, your G board is most likely OK. This is not an absolute however.

The fact that this is a multisync monitor and can display many frequences, trying to troubleshoot with DMM only, is in my opinion, very unlikely to succeed.

The deflection circuits for this monitor are very complex as a result of being a multisync monitor. Without a schematic for you to follow, troubleshooting on this forum is impossible.

Beyond that, I would check the heat-sinked transistors for shorts in the deflection circuits (Using the diode position of your meter).

Sorry

Jesse
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2015 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com