Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Sony KD-34XBR960 - no HDMI video, shaky component inputs    

joemagiera

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Sony KD-34XBR960 - no HDMI video, shaky component inputs Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a Sony KD-34XBR960 with two issues:

1) My DVR plugs into the HDMI port. Recently the video display from the HDMI went out. I tried my DVR on another TV and it works fine, so it's definitely something with my TV, not the DVR. The sound works fine.

2) When I feed the output of my DVD player into the TV, the picture is shaky/jittery. I tried this on several different inputs on the TV and they all display the same issue. I tried the DVD player on another TV and it works fine, so again, it's the TV. I find it strange that the TV will play a VHS tape player just fine, but it won't play a DVD player input feed. I also have the same issue with our wii game, picture is shaky/jittery.

I really like the picture on a tube TV so I took it in for repair. The repair guy told me that for problem #1, it needs a new HDMI circuit board. For problem #2, it needs a new main board. He said it's much quicker and easier to fix by replacing the board rather than trouble shooting it. Unfortunately, he didn't have either board. He didn't tell me the actual part number to search for.

I finally found a schematics, but I admit, I don't know what I am doing. Can anyone identify the proper circuit board part number to be looking for? Of course, if anyone has these for sale, that would be great too.

If you have any other ideas/opinions on what you fell the source of the problem is, I would be very appreciative to hear it. Thanks,

Joe
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

JTS1957

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Page 141 of service manual (9-965-965-05) shows the boards and part numbers you should start searching by.

HDMI is A-1302-939-A P BOARD, COMPLETE

Main board depends on whether AZ or MZ was being referred to.
joemagiera

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTS1957 wrote:
Page 141 of service manual (9-965-965-05) shows the boards and part numbers you should start searching by.
HDMI is A-1302-939-A P BOARD, COMPLETE
Main board depends on whether AZ or MZ was being referred to.

I very much appreciate your answer. I could only find the -01 version of the manual online and page 141 doesn't seem to contain the information you mention. But thank you very much for the HDMI circuit board part number.

As to the main board, AZ or MZ, are you saying there were two different versions used in this model TV? Or that the "main board" could be one of two separate boards? Since I can't seem to find the right manual version, could you provide the part number to both the AZ and MZ?

Based on the problem description (DVD player & wii game console feed shows shaky/jittery picture), do you have an opinion as to which board is likely the source problem?

Thanks,

Joe
JTS1957

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least 4 updates to manual - Shows changes in mine compared to yours: http://imgur.com/oYM5sG4, but yours should be mostly the same. Find these two page equivalents in yours.
Block Diagrams (1 of 3);
Exploded views 6-1 Chassis (KD-34XBR960 ONLY)

Part number/board letter(s) will also be somewhere on each board.
As you can see they do not exactly have any Main board listed. Long time ago D was deflection 'main' amd A was signal 'main.' If you consult the block diagram and exploded view, you can see how the HDMI signal is routed. P board routes to MZ then to AZ.

As far as opinion, it's anyone's guess. I'd confirm all power supplies for voltage and excess noise/ripple that affect digital sources (which I assume from this and your earlier thread for this set/problem is what DVD/wii (if both connect via HDMI) have in common over VHS (Analog).
joemagiera

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTS1957 wrote:
As far as opinion, it's anyone's guess. I'd confirm all power supplies for voltage and excess noise/ripple that affect digital sources (which I assume from this and your earlier thread for this set/problem is what DVD/wii (if both connect via HDMI) have in common over VHS (Analog).

Thanks for the manual references, I will check it out.

Just an FYI, as to the DVD & wii inputs, neither are coming in via the HDMI. It's a pain to swap cables, so normally, I have the DVR always going to the HDMI and the DVD and wii go to component & composite inputs. These are where the picture is jittery (where a VHS is fine).

Joe
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

JTS1957

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went back and noticed this in your initial post:
joemagiera wrote:
Recently the video display from the HDMI went out.

So has started working again?
joemagiera

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTS1957 wrote:
Went back and noticed this in your initial post:
joemagiera wrote:
Recently the video display from the HDMI went out.

So has started working again?

No, not working.

DVR output is fed into TV via HDMI. Sound works, video was working, but went out and is still out. Tried DVR and cable on another TV's HDMI and works fine. So it's not a DVR or cable problem.

DVD output is fed into TV, tried both component & composite, picture jittery/shaky. Tried DVD & cable on another TV, both component & composite and works fine, so not a DVD or cable problem.

wii output is fed into TV via composite. Picture jittery/shaky.

VHS player output fed into TV via composite, picture & sound is fine.

Antenna TV fed into TV tuner, picture & sound is fine.

Sorry if I wasn't clear on the problem description.

Joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2015 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com