Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Sony KDL-42V4100 Power Supply or Inverter?    

suwalski

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Sony KDL-42V4100 Power Supply or Inverter? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I have an LCD TV that runs perfectly for 5-10 minutes, then clicks off and back on, but stays on for shorter and shorter amounts of time (never more than 30s).

Basically, it behaves like an overheating device, though I'm not feeling any extreme temperatures.

The diagnostic page suggests that it's the inverter or the power supply based on the fail code.

What do the experts think? Gut feeling: power supply or inverter boards?

Many thanks.
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

kuhurdler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

model number
JTS1957

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.riddledtv.com/forums/read-me-first-before-posting-t5.html
suwalski

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I was hoping to leave the model out of it, which is why I was asking for a model-nonspecific gut feeling.

It's a Sony KDL-42V4100. Six blinks. The tech manual claims it's one of those two boards. But since the backlight works perfectly for minutes at a time, I thought that a gut feeling could be formed as to whether it's the inverters or power supply.
CelicaSupra

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are you saying the whole set switches off or just the backlight goes out? The way I read it you mean the whole thing powers off

OK gut feeling FWIW I'd say power board... but then you shouldn't really rely on gut feelings & the model numbers can be significant in that maybe somebody knows of a common fault with a particular model.
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

kuhurdler

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd guess inverter. You can check the power supply while it's running. I don't know if you're going to get a solid answer on which one it is for certain.
JTS1957

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's 100%, absolutely, positively the Inverter ... (unless it's something else). Very Happy
suwalski

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, gentlemen. It wasn't unanimous, but I think the inverters are the right place to start, so I ordered a set.
suwalski

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

The inverters came yesterday, I put them in, and sure enough, the TV's been up and running for a full day.

Thank you so much to those who answered.

I got my parts really fast from ShopJimmy. I wonder if there are any interested parties in the previous inverters, which worked perfectly for a few minutes at a time? Otherwise, it's recycling for them...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2015 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com