Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Sony KDL-50R550A - totally dead   Goto page 1, 2  Next  

StarChaser_Tyger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Sony KDL-50R550A - totally dead Reply with quote

No lights, no display, no sound.

Mom got hit by lightning hard, and one of the casualties was this Sony KDL50R550A. Figured I can't make it any more dead, so why not take it apart and rummage. Probably not relative to this, but it had been flaky before, where it would occasionally randomly reboot while watching, whether TV, netflix, etc. Unplugging it for a minute then plugging it back in would fix it for a time, but Sony refused to replace it.

Surprisingly, nothing looks toasted or magic smoke free. I tried the obvious, and tested the fuse with a multi-meter's continuity, and it (of course) is good. ("A $500 component will blow to protect a 3 cent fuse") Nothing looks damaged; I took the power board off and looked at the underside, and nothing's darkened. None of the capacitors look swollen or leaky. I haven't messed with the other two yet.

Any ideas? Alternatetively, can I yank the 50" LCD off and kitbash it into my 40" Sony TV? Very Happy (Hey, always worth a try...)

As an idea of how hard she got hit, a wall wart for another little TV in the kitchen straight up exploded, throwing bits of the case 20+ feet from the wall and blowing a chunk out of the faceplate on the power outlet. I've never seen electronics do that unless Captain Kirk was nearby...
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

JTS1957

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's hope your mom recovers quickly. Is there such a thing as soft lightning? Ball lightning I've heard of.

I presume 50" is similar to 70." Do smaller sets in same series release the same amount of magic smoke?

There seems to be a lack of experience with poster and a lack of literature on my end.
http://www.tv-forums.com/forum/TV_Equipment_C4/Big_Screen_TV_F32/Sony_KDL70R550A_No_Power_P160072/
StarChaser_Tyger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTS1957 wrote:
Let's hope your mom recovers quickly. Is there such a thing as soft lightning? Ball lightning I've heard of.

I presume 50" is similar to 70." Do smaller sets in same series release the same amount of magic smoke?

There seems to be a lack of experience with poster and a lack of literature on my end.
http://www.tv-forums.com/forum/TV_Equipment_C4/Big_Screen_TV_F32/Sony_KDL70R550A_No_Power_P160072/

Heh. Thanks for the well wishes, but I meant her house, rather than herself. She's got a bit of hearing loss from the thunder and the bang of the wall wart, and one cat is traumatized and now hides in the bathroom whenever there's a rumble around (Which, being in Florida, is pretty much 'always'). The bolt landed in the back yard of a house cattycorner from her back yard, about 50 feet from her own house, and this TV. And 'hard' in the sense of 'lots of stuff broke'. When I got hit once, it took out one computer. She lost five TVs, 9 telephones, her pool pump and AC compressor motor, plus a few other bits and pieces.

I did search before posting, and didn't find anything. Thanks for the reply, looking now.

(edit) Ok, the power board model number mentioned there is different, at least. Assuming that where the AC power plugs in is the power supply, at least.Mine was a three letter-three number identifier. I had to put the back back on the TV to cat proof it so I can't look right now. From a bit of rummaging on Ebay, it looks like APS-351.
JTS1957

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if CN6401 Pin 1 has 3.3 volts. IF so, Does Pin 3 go from one voltage to another as you press and release power button?
StarChaser_Tyger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTS1957 wrote:
See if CN6401 Pin 1 has 3.3 volts. IF so, Does Pin 3 go from one voltage to another as you press and release power button?

Sorry, been a long week. I can't find a CN6401 anywhere. There are several things with 6401 in the name, and a CN6402 that seems to be the connector to the panel driver board, but nothing else I can find.
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

JTS1957

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://assets.shopjimmy.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/f8f28dc4a19c21aeb55ee5774693fb5d/s/h/shopjimmy-1-474-496-11-top.jpg
Lower edge - right corner.
StarChaser_Tyger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTS1957 wrote:
https://assets.shopjimmy.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/f8f28dc4a19c21aeb55ee5774693fb5d/s/h/shopjimmy-1-474-496-11-top.jpg
Lower edge - right corner.

Well, derp. 6_9
One connector was CN640-2-, it should have occurred to me that the other was -1... Just missed the marking from the angle I was looking, I guess. And the sun was in my eyes. And there was too much oxygen in the air...
JTS1957

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was such a good question, I thought I'd ask it again...

JTS1957 wrote:
StarChaser_Tyger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTS1957 wrote:

JTS1957 wrote:

Heh. Yeah, I know. I just haven't gotten around to it. The only place I can work on it is on my bed, the only off the floor flat space that I can cat-proof, so it's kind of a pain in the butt. Have to haul it in from the other room, down a small hallway, with the cat trying to trip me for the entire process...

(later edit) Nope, zero on pin one, and no change when hitting the button.
JTS1957

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StarChaser_Tyger wrote:
JTS1957 wrote:

JTS1957 wrote:

Heh. Yeah, I know. I just haven't gotten around to it. The only place I can work on it is on my bed, the only off the floor flat space that I can cat-proof, so it's kind of a pain in the butt. Have to haul it in from the other room, down a small hallway, with the cat trying to trip me for the entire process...

(later edit) Nope, zero on pin one, and no change when hitting the button.

Zero on pin 1 and no change when hitting the button ? on pin 1 or pin 3 ?
Do you have a external adjustable power supply to provide your own 3.3 volts? Provided Pin 1 to ground does NOT read a dead short on your ohm meter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2015 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com