Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Sony KDL-55EX720 (5 Blinking Lights)    

Jessie00721

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Sony KDL-55EX720 (5 Blinking Lights) Reply with quote

Hello, I am looking at a TV a friend that managed to get some water into his TV. I downloaded the manual and I have come up with a small conflict in troubleshooting. Basically the TV does not turn on, if you plug it in it does have the solid red standby light on, if you press the power button the green light turns on for one second and then the standby light blinks 5 times, pauses and continues to repeat itself. No picture or backlight when trying to power on.

Now the manual says this:
(5 times blinking(T-con error))---->(check panel_vcc at pin 1 of CN6001 on the B*board)------->12v NG------->G* board

So according to that chart I followed the flow and there is not 12v at pin 1 at the B* board so it is recommending replacing the power suppy. When I say the 12v is not present when the tv power button is on but when you initially hit the button hit does flick to 12v for a second till the red lights begin blinking. So I was not sure if the B*board or the G*board actually tells the 12v to maintain.

In another section there is a flow chart for no power. Here is the flow for that one that I used:

(No Power)----->Check standby 3.3V at pin 10 of CN6001 on the B* board----->OK------>B*Board

So when I check this I do have the standby voltage of 3.3v and it then suggest replacing the B* board if it is present. So now two different senerios have me questioning which one is correct.

Based of the information provided which of the two boards listed seems most likely to be the issue? The B* board(BATV Board) or the G* board(power supply)?

Thanks for any input!
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

JTS1957

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12 volts stays longer with tcon or (tcon to panel) unplugged?
Jessie00721

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12volts only present for a split second when pressing the power button. Actually it is so fast a regular meter won't even show 12 volts. Spikes to about 9 before instantly dropping off. I assume it gets 12v just it's so fast of a spike the meter won't read it.
JTS1957

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I wasn't clear.

Can the t-con board be unplugged from the panel AND/OR can the t-con board be unplugged from the other board(s)?

If YES - what happens to the 12v when the set is fired up with one or ALL connections to t-con board disconnected?
Jessie00721

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sorry, ill have to check that tomorrow. Ill post back then. Thx for the reply!
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

Jessie00721

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, had a chance to do a little testing. Found that if I remove the ribbon cable from the left side of the tcon board the tv will work but obviously only 1/2 of the screen operates. Did see some liquid/sugar gunk at the bottom circuit board of the screen on the troubled side. So I guess it is either shorted or blew 1/2 of the tcon board but I will assume for right now it's the screen that's the issue. I'm not sure if the tcon board can be moved so you can switch cables to see if the other side of the board operates by plugging in the the right side to the left? What would you recommend from here since I assume the issue is with the bottom circuit of the screen?
JTS1957

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF it's the LCD panel, I doubt its worth fixing.

http://www.encompassparts.com/item/8450447/Sony/1-811-342-13/Lcd_Panel
Jessie00721

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true. Never found a tv yet that was cheaper to replace the screen then buying another. 1700/1800 for a screen on 1400 for the same tv on amazon. Might try cleaning it up a bit more but for now, ill say its the screen. Thx for the input
JTS1957

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"a friend that managed to get some water"

"Did see some liquid/sugar gunk"

All depends on whether set was running and/or how long/well was left to dry BEFORE power was reapplied.
Jessie00721

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He said it happened months ago but it seemed liked ice tea or something with sugar based off the syrup type gunk. He said he tried using it afterwards even though it has been months now. Damaged already done though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2015 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com