Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Sony KP-57WS510 convergence problem   Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

smd1111

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Sony KP-57WS510 convergence problem Reply with quote

I'm having a convergence problem with my tv. I've replace the STK's, checked the resistors and pico fuses(D & G boards). There was no change. When I try and do a manual convergence adjustment, there are two crosses in the upper right corner that are not in line with the rest of the crosses. They are shifted to the right. I can't adjust the red and blue to line up with the cross and I'm not sure that I'd want to do that anyway since they are so far out of line with the rest. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Mike
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

JTS1957

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you adjust RED (BLUE) horizontal line BOTH up & down through the CENTER cross?

AND

Can you adjust RED (BLUE) vertical line BOTH left & right through the CENTER cross?
smd1111

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I can't. The cross is so far too the right and out of line with the other crosses in those columns. I can't adjust red or blue that far to the right. Verticle seems to be ok.
JTS1957

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the cross at the CENTER screen will move the horizontal line up & down, but NOT the vertical line left & right?

All pico fuses are good?
+22 volts & - 22 volts are reaching the chips?
By "manual convergence" you mean "customer" (pg. 34 of user manual)?
smd1111

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, everything in the center of the screen is ok. The two crosses in the right most two columns and second row down from the top are wrong.
If I were to draw it, it would be:

+ + + + + + + + +
+ + + + + + + + + <-- the last two crosses are shifted by 50% to the right. It doesn't show that way in forum preview mode
+ + + + + + + + +
+ + + + + + + + +
+ + + + + + + + +

Since those crosses are too far to the right, I can't adjust the red and blue that far over. I'm not sure why the crosses are in the wrong position.

Pico fuses are good. I pulled one end out and measured. I haven't checked the 22v. What points on the pcb can I do that? YEs, manual convergence is adjusting the red and blue one cross at a time as on p34 in the manual.

Last edited by smd1111 on Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

JTS1957

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point I'm attempting to make is if the cross at the very center of the screen is NOT adjusting correctly (both colors capable of moving in all four directions) you don't stand a chance of adjusting the edges.

IC8001 (or IC8002)
+ 22 volts (+VCC) = pins 5 and 10
- 22 volts (-VCC) = pins 4, 8, 12 and 17
smd1111

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I double checked the center cross and both the red and blue can be adjusted in all directions. I couldn't find the ic's but found 4 voltage TP's and got : TP +22v = 21.9v
TP -22v = -20.6v
TP +15v = 16.5v
TP -15v = - 17.9v
JTS1957

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) May (or may not) be the same sources;
2) Just cause it reaches test point does not mean they are reaching IC pins.

I presume you have tried adjusting anyway, even though they are so far out of line?
smd1111

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think they'd be the same sources. The likelyhood of having two sets of +/-22v seems slim. Agree that it may not be getting to the ic's. Can you give me an idea of where the ic's are? I couldn't find them and I didn't see any ic footprint if they're on the bottom side of the board. I'm assuming they're on the convergence board, right? Any idea what the voltage tolerance is supposed to be? The +/-15v is only 10-20% which sounds high. I would have expected 5-10%.

I'm not totally sure what you mean in the last sentence, but yes, I've tried to adjust all of the crosses manually. They can all be adjusted correctly except for the 2 which I've tried to sketch out earlier. I've also noticed that when adjusting the two above and the two below, when I move the cursor onto the cross, the box that surrounds the cross is a little warped too. So, it's really the upper right corner of the screen that is giving me problems.
kuhurdler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you may have some foldover. It looks like it is too low, but it may actually be too high... actually it's impossible for me to explain.

Try moving the cursor the opposite of the way that it needs to go on the defective crosshair that is closest to the middle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2015 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com