Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Sony KV-2093R won't turn on ...    

mlloyd1

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Sony KV-2093R won't turn on ... Reply with quote

i've got a KV2093R (this is a 20+ years old set) that won't turn on.
checked the obvious: power fuses, they all look good.
now, i suspect the horizontal output transistor 2SD1555.
got to discharge the crt before i poke at that, so i thought i'd take a moment to ask if anyone has seen anything similar.

edit:
forgot to mention no front LEDs come on, so i should probably add voltage regulator to the parts to check. regulator is STR3035.

thanks,
mlloyd1
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

kuhurdler

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

replace the HOT if you suspect it. They are quite cheap compared to many other parts.

here is one for 3 bucks:
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product.aspx?productid=2SD1555
mlloyd1

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, you're right. :-)
just hoping to catch anything else that might as well be checked/replaced while i have it opened. i'd hate to replace the hot and have it die again. i'm fixing the set for my daughter to use until she buys what she really wants.
Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: KV2093 wont turn on Reply with quote

If you have a meter, check the resistance between the center leg and the other two legs. The resistance should be in the high K-ohm range. If the resistance is very low, like 0~5 Ohms the transistor is possibly shorted. It is normal to have very low resistance between the legs that are the farthest apart. Unsolder the center leg and measure the foil to ground. If the short is gone the transistor is shorted. If the short is not gone the Damper diode is most likely shorted. If it turns out that the HOT is shorted, do not forget to resolder the driver transformer. A bad connection on this transformer is usually what causes the HOT to fail. This transformer, if I remember correctly, is a quite small, 1/2 ~ 3/4 inch square, and the windings are usually covered with either black or red plastic.

Jesse
mlloyd1

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesse:

thanks for your advice. i've ordered a couple of hots; mine measured bad.

mlloyd1
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2015 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com