Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Toshiba 42RV535U won't turn on    

carlbsmith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Toshiba 42RV535U won't turn on Reply with quote

TV worked fine and then just "died" one day. Now, when you plug the TV in, there is a yellow light on the lower right of the TV that blink three times, over and over again. I looked in the user manual and it said this just indicates that the TV is booting up. Problem is, it will continue to do this without end, and the TV never comes on.

I have taken the back off of the TV and found a blown fuse. I replaced the fuse, but it just blows again immediately after I plug the TV back in. Anybody have any ideas what could be wrong with the TV. I am comfortable with replacing parts myself, I just don't know how to troubleshoot the TV to determine which parts need to be replaced. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks! Carl
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

Plasmaman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on a Toshiba 42HL167 with the same 3 blink problem. Some have said replacing the seine board or re-installing the firmware with the SD slot can correct the 3 blink issue, however I tried both with no resolve. I also swapped the main board as well, but the tv will still not boot up. I'm now leaning toward a problem in the power supply maybe? I'm ordering some schottky diodes for the power supply to try and correct the 3 blink, the supplier said it may take up to two weeks though, so I cant post results until after then. What fuse is it your blowing?
JTS1957

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You DO realize you have a thread going with two different models?
Blink code may or may not be the same.
Plasmaman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize that thanks. I have 4 tv's I'm currently working on, 5 installed at my house, and I've repaired about 25 other sets in the past 8 months as I began this hobby of mine. My first set was the Pioneer Elite PRO-1000HD. I hung that in my bedroom and paired it up with an Integra DTR 6.5 I repaired as well, with some Triad speakers in the ceiling it's a sweet set up. I use the ps3 for blu-ray, one of the only item's I've actually bought. Besides my speakers, everything else was given to me in a completely broken state as the owners no longer wanted them. I worked as an installer for two years, for some high end clients who had no interest in repairing thier old electronics and just wanted the latest and greatest they could buy. They actually considered it a favor to them if I haul out thier old 50in plasma so they could have an LED installed! And since the company I worked for didnt do repairs, they let me keep just about everything I wanted. That company has laid off half thier installers and I was the new guy so I was gone too. I still do some installs as I have my own license as a general contractor, but no more hand me downs. Now I actually go out and buy non working flatscreens and repair them. It's like an addiction I've devolped. I love to get in there and find the problem. I'm keeping pictures now of my repairs and starting my own case histories book of the work ive done. This week alone I've repaired two 32in LCD's I bought one for $25 and the other for $35. A nice GPS I bought for $5. My capacitor wizard is a huge help in some of these repairs. Sorry to make a story of this. I'd like to help with your tv if I can. Please keep in mind that I'm just a hobbyist in this field. I do have more tools and test equipment than most even care to spend on thier tv itself, and most of my studies come from in the field experience and books Ive read but no in class training. I dont think any classroom would have provided me with all the different models Ive seen and worked on. And not one tv has came back to me in two years, only referrals for another repair. (I fixed my own tv's about two years ago, and didnt really start buying broken stuff, or fixing other peoples sets until about 8 months ago) Right now I'm trying to focus my studies on just SMPS, how they work, and how to rebuild them. Somehow I think the problem with your Toshiba may be there. You may want to check for any problems, blown fuses, at the inverter board as well. If you get the part number from the PCB I may have the schematic for it.

Last edited by Plasmaman on Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Plasmaman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just took a quick look and your PSB (power supply) is not the same PSB as that of the 42HL167, so I wont have the service manual for that model. There is a PSB currently listed on ebay:Power 75010942 PE0546A V28A000718C1 Toshiba 42RV535U. I found bad schottky diodes in my Toshiba power supply, new ones are on order still. A repair shop I contact alot and spend hours chatting with on the phone in Grant Pass Oregon took a look at thier case histories book and a similar Toshiba with the three blink power issue was repaired with replacement of the power supply as well. The same diodes were found to be bad, but in thier case they replaced the entire power supply. This may explain the long wait to receive my diodes. I'm still concerned as to why you have a fuse blowing in the power supply. Is it another component in the power supply causing this, or another PCB elsewhere in the set. You need to isolate the power supply from the other components and see if it still blows the fuse. If so, you may want to just replace the power supply at that point. If it doesnt , then there is another PCB causing the fuse to blow. The power supply is a very stressed part of the tv, it sees the voltage spikes, ect if your tv is on or not.
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

doublewide

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plasmaman,
It sounds pretty much like you are doing what I'm trying to do as far as finding broken tv's are repairing them. I used to work on lawnmowers and small engine stuff, but am trying to get into something new. I have tv shop that is selling broken tvs to me, but I don't know a whole lot about fixing them. I also have been watching videos on youtube and I'm familiar with Grants Passs Oregan's shop and videos. I thought maybe you could give me a hand in my repair the toshiba 42HL196 that has a blinking red light and no picture. Please let me know if you can help me out. Thanks
Plasmaman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure Id like to help if I can. I found this post that may help by a Mr Windex.

The blinking light means the controller QA01 in the AV_TERM system board is booting and driving the TIMER/REC RED LED light accordingly. This failure mode is true for many conditions, not exclusively for the main PS board PE0071. It could be caused by many things, LOW B, SEINE, AV_TERM, LCD, PROTECT, etc.

Specifically for PE0071+12VDC circuit failure, which is the most common , listen for the LINE relays SR80, SR81 coming online. If several (3) or more clicks are present when applying power to the TV set then suspect the +12, 20, +32 VDC inverter is faulty.

As a quick check, you can disconnect P807B. If the relays cycle every 1-2 seconds then is most definitely the +12VDC inverter. Check for voltage level at optocoupler Q881 pin 4 and this should not be cycling. This point is the VCC for the oscillator. Repair or replace board 75002913 as necessary.

TROUBLESHOOTING: (this is my own, not the OEM !, try at your own risk!)

1. Check for LINE1 input voltage level at inverter on sheet [4].
2. Check for LINE2 input voltage level at inverter on sheet [3].
3. Check for STBY +5VDC & +25 VDC ( observe correct GND REF) page [4]of PE0071 POWER
4. Check for +22 VDC out of regulator on page [3] out of Q822 Emitter
5. Check P809B connector for :

* P809B (12) POWER = 3.00 VDC (+/-0.2)
* P809B (11) POWER_SIG = 0.00 VDC (HIGH to Power on TV)
* P809B (10) PROTECT = 0.00 VDC

* P809B (9) ACDETECT = 3.00 VDC (+/-0.2)

1. Check for PFC_OUT = 368-371 VDC
2. Check for +12, +20 & +32 VDC inverter page [5] of schematic manual.

For +12 VDC Inverter, suspect components:

Q880 STR-W6765 PSR (works really hot!!)
C888-C890
D884A and related switching circuit components.

Good luck,

mrwindex

Hope that is of some help to you.
I always check the caps in the power supply first as thats an easy fix if you happen to find the problem there. Plasmaman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2015 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com