Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Toshiba 51H84 won't power up    

dano7331

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Toshiba 51H84 won't power up Reply with quote

OK, I've read several threads pertaining to this issue and have tried a couple things but still no-go

When I plug in the TV it makes a click as it was going to power up then clicks again and nothing happens. The little red light for power just flashes on and off. When it first started doing this I would unplug the TV and wait a couple minutes, plug it back in and it would click and come on, after a while I would here the second click and it would shut down. But now the second click is almost immediate and it will not power up any more.

I've replaced the FB transformer as well as the convergence IC's since what I've read these are the most likely culprits, but nothing has changed and it's still doing the same thing.

I've also read that it could be the sweep power supply or the main regulator IC but I don't know what these components look like or their location. I looked at Andrew's electronics and didn't see these components listed.

So far what I've replaced didn't cost much so I don't mind giving the repairs a shot on my own. I'm pretty skilled as soldering etc. Although I'm no TV repair guy I was a aircraft flight instrument tech and currently build computers, so replacing components isn't an issue, it's the troubleshooting that has me in the dark. Thanks, Dan
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Symptom: Set in shutdown
The Op Amp IC Q306 on the Power /Deflection board may be faulty.

Corrective Action: Replace the defective Op Amp IC Q306 on the Power / Deflection board using Part Number 70119059. Apply the following countermeasure by adding Diode D310, Part Number 23357884 using the following procedure:

Use static protection measures as this IC is static sensitive and you can damage the IC with improper handling.

1. Replace IC Q306 on the Power / Deflection Board using Part Number 70119059 ($8.34)
2. From the bottom of the Power / Deflection Module add zener diode part number 23357884 ($.29) with the cathode (banded end) soldered to jumper JP001 (Q306 pin 4) and the anode (non banded end) attached to ground.
3. Place a small piece of insulating tape between the diode and the pc board.
4. Trim excessive leads, check for solder bridges or shorts.

Parts are available here http://www.andrewselectronics.com

Hope this helps

Jesse
dano7331

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jesse, I'll order the parts and give it a shot. I'll let you know how it turns out. - Dan
dano7331

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Jesse you da man !!

Got the parts in this morning, took about an hour to swap out the parts and viola.....it works. - Dan
raef

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: any photos? Reply with quote

hi guys i know its been 3 years now. I have the same tv and it just failed me last month. I already have other tvs in the house but would like to give this a shot. I could still use this TV in my garage. Do you guys have any
photos to help me on this fix? thanks
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

jrottie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Toshiba 51H84 won't power up Reply with quote

Jesse Mack wrote:
Symptom: Set in shutdown
The Op Amp IC Q306 on the Power /Deflection board may be faulty.

Corrective Action: Replace the defective Op Amp IC Q306 on the Power / Deflection board using Part Number 70119059. Apply the following countermeasure by adding Diode D310, Part Number 23357884 using the following procedure:

Use static protection measures as this IC is static sensitive and you can damage the IC with improper handling.

1. Replace IC Q306 on the Power / Deflection Board using Part Number 70119059 ($8.34)
2. From the bottom of the Power / Deflection Module add zener diode part number 23357884 ($.29) with the cathode (banded end) soldered to jumper JP001 (Q306 pin 4) and the anode (non banded end) attached to ground.
3. Place a small piece of insulating tape between the diode and the pc board.
4. Trim excessive leads, check for solder bridges or shorts.

Parts are available here http://www.andrewselectronics.com

Hope this helps

Jesse

Will this Q306 substitute work?
Toshiba 23085872 Ic, Ta75902pg(5,j)
The original part isn't available...Thanx...Rob
JTS1957

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't see any reason why not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2015 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com