Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Toshiba 56HM195 - Picture problem - pixeled and flashing    

petiepooo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Toshiba 56HM195 - Picture problem - pixeled and flashing Reply with quote

My Toshiba 56HM195 DLP TV just started acting up. The pictures and menues are in the correct places, but there are blocks coming up from the bottom. There is a wavy line 3/4 up the display with green below it turning into yellow, with a seizure-inducing flash.

Photos here:
http://flic.kr/p/8FuP9k
http://flic.kr/p/8FuPbp

Video available on request (I'd have to take it first).

I removed the back and vacuumed out a nice layer of dust, removed and reseated the ~6" LVDS(?) cable leading from the box with all the inputs to the box that looks like it houses the color wheel. After that, the time to when it acted up changed from 5 to 30 minutes.

The wavy green line may progress higher on the screen depending on the brightness, but I can't positively confirm that, so it may be a red herring.
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

petiepooo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Similar thread Reply with quote

There's a similar thread here:
http://www.riddledtv.com/forums/toshiba-56hm195-screen-problems-t1167.html
But el_rafa didn't post back what the solution was.

I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron, but this probably goes beyond that. With a service manual, I can disassemble and reassemble with the best of them, but wouldn't know how to make any adjustments that might be required once a new component is in place.

Any of you repair wizards out there have any idea what could be causing this? And more importantly, how to fix it?
petiepooo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Fan? Reply with quote

I just had a thought. Since it seems to be fine when first powered up, only to fail as it warms up, might it be the fan that draws air out of the shielded box where all the input signals come into? Or are the symptoms indicative of something wrong in the light path or color wheel?
petiepooo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Not the fan Reply with quote

Ok, I can verify that both fans are operational (large bulb fan, and small fan drawing air out of box with all input connectors).

The other bad news is now the bulb isn't striking. Too much moving away from the wall... Need to replace that before I can continue diagnostics. Mad
petiepooo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Flickers when it first starts up now Reply with quote

Now (or at least before the bulb blew), it flickers when it first starts up, rather than the flicker starting along with the blocky overlay.
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

troy7890

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey peiepoo,

I found this thread today and was wondering if you ever got to the bottom of this issue. I'm having the same issue with my 56hm195 Sad

Thanks.
petiepooo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. I called a TV repairman, and all he could do is offer to replace the main processing board for a ridiculous amount of money. Rather than sink more into it, I let him harvest some parts (jerk still didn't give me a discount on the service call), and sent the shell to the curb. Then I went to Costco and bought an LCD that was nearly as large for just a bit more than it would have cost to repair it.

Wish I had better news for you... DLP is a dying breed; and for good reasons.
troy7890

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's a bummer. I guess I'll finally throw in the towel on this TV as well. I've resurrected it twice in the past 2 years but this time I don't have the patience, especially considering the prices of the new displays these days.

I think I'll try and part it out on ebay though, hopefully pay for half of my new TV's price. Laughing Thanks and take care!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2015 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com