Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Vizio E55-C1 - power surge killed it    

Rcflyer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Vizio E55-C1 - power surge killed it Reply with quote

Hello, we had a massive thunderstorm last night. The wife was watching TV and she said the power surged and she heard a pop sound from the right side of the tv. Now it won't turn on or do anything. Tried holding the power button down with it unplugged as some people said still nothing.

We bought this TV last September, new from best buy. Of course dumb me plugs everything else into a surge protector except the TV... Oh well it's done now and I'll learn from it.

I'm handy with a voltmeter and know how to check for continuity. After watching a few YouTube videos and getting more familiar with the electronics it appears the power is coming in AC and converting to DC like it should. However not really sure what to check after that. There is no visible signs of burnt capacitors or resistors. Also I don't see anything swelled up.

I've googled the model of the vizio and can't seem to find any wiring diagram of the board. The main fuse is OK and not blown. Is there anything else that I can test before I take it to a shop? I'll try to post some pictures of the boards also. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Samuel
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

manmike

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Vizio E55-C1 power surge killed it Reply with quote

Hello Samuel,

When you turn on the TV check with the multi-meter if there 12V on pins 11 and 13 of connector CN9101 in the power supply. If there is 12V the power supply is OK and the damage is in the main board, if there is not 12V you need a new power supply.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2015 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com