Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
VIZIO M502I-B1 - Random Power Issues    

kjd23

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: VIZIO M502I-B1 - Random Power Issues Reply with quote

Model: VIZIO M502i-B1

Issues:
When turning on the television, the power indicator light comes on, then dims for approximately 20 seconds, lights up brightly again, and then the backlight comes on, the Vizio logo appears, and the television functions. This occurs every time the TV starts up.

Frequently I will have the following issues while using the TV:
The TV will randomly reboot while watching a TV show through a coaxial cable or through an HDMI on my PlayStation 4. This often occurs when something bright flashes on the screen (similar to a strobe light effect).

After changing inputs, the TV will become “stuck” and I can no longer change the channel or change inputs without the TV automatically resetting itself. For example, I can use the remote to enter a new channel or select an input, but when I press “OK,” the TV resets.

Troubleshooting Attempts:
- I reseated the power cable and all input cables.
- I changed my HDMI cable.
- I changed the batteries in the remote control.
- I switched power outlets.
- I have tried using a surge protector and not using one.
- I have tried power cycling the television.

After doing all of the following, the television still continues to have the same issues. Power cycling seemed to help briefly but would take a long time to be effective. For example, every time I have attempted a power cycle, the TV would not turn back on for at least 8 hours. I normally attempt it at night and wait until the morning to turn the TV on because in my experience, it will not turn on after a power cycle earlier than that.

I have opened up the TV suspecting the power supply board was failing but I did not see any blown caps or burn marks. See picture of the boards here:

http://imgur.com/a/xX2Op

I am at a loss with this and I am hoping someone here can help. Thanks!
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

kuhurdler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have a multimeter or any other way to test voltages?
kjd23

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have a basic multimeter.
kuhurdler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you flip it to DC voltage and test the voltage levels coming from the power board?
Natettt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish someone could tell us how to fix it. I have the same exact symptoms. Vizio said they know about the problem and they will warranty it. But I was too stupid and told them I opened the back cover to check the fuse and capacitors. So I voided my warranty. So pissed. If someone knows how to fix it please chime in!
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

JTS1957

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the 3 posts prior to yours. Rolling Eyes
kuhurdler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, help us help you. We're doing our best to help you troubleshoot the problem. It is also illegal for them to void your warranty for opening your personal electronic devices, per this law
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2015 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com