Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
VIZIO SV470XVT1A - Red pixels where it should be black    

Livermoron

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: VIZIO SV470XVT1A - Red pixels where it should be black Reply with quote

Our 2-3 yo VIZIO SV470XVT1A has developed red pixels where they should be black or dark - not all of them (but enough to make watching dark scenes very difficult) and the red moves with the scene so I know its not a pixel issue. At first it was a halo or sprinkling effect, but over time it has gotten worse.

I have read about 7-8 similar descriptions of this problem on the same model but nobody has posted a fix.

VIZIO customer service could only point me to their parts website and authorized repair company.

I am very hands on and cheap so I'd like to fix this myself it all possible.

Thanks
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

gopro25

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there. I had a Vizio that had the exact same problem by the sounds of it. From what I hear, it is a voltage adjustment that would fix your problem.

If you take the back off your TV, look for little plastic things that look like phillips head screws.

Before you adjust anything, mark where they were.

Also, only twiddle a tiny bit either way.

I don't know what sort of tolerance your set might have.

Be careful, don't let your screw driver slip.

Have somebody else watch the screen so you can twiddle the screw without zapping yourself.

No guarantee here, but I would give it a shot if the red spots are driving you mad.

Good luck!!!
Livermoron

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - I took advice from another board and bought a new T-con board - $40 ish from (I actually forget - I know vizparts wanted $103 ish). I installed the board (under a metal cover at the top of the TV held on with 3 tiny screws). The LVDS cables still looked like a royal pain to do so I didn't try them. The new T-con board fixed the problem - for about a week! Then the red came back. So I went back in (getting good at taking off the back of this thing) and started on the cables. Turns out the guy forgot to mention that all three cables are different! But I didn't see this until I had one disconnected from the T-con board! So I took down the part numbers and hooked that cable back-up to the T-con and put everything back together to wait for my other new cables to arrive. Guess what? The red was gone again! Its the freaking connection between the LVDS cable and the T-con! At least that is what I've concluded. Its been about a week and so far the red hasn't come back although I expect it to. The new cables are here but I am debating about what to actually do when the red does come back - replace the cables( hard) or just disconnect the one I did before and try to clean it or something.

To anyone searching for how to fix this problem I recommend just disconnecting and possibly cleaning the LVDS cables that connect to the T-con board - there are only two of them (the other LVDS cable goes somewhere else and didn't make any difference) and then reconnecting them. The whole process should take less than an hour. email me at fhbathotmaildotcom if you need any tips, etc.
Livermoron

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

25 months later and the red started to return. I again just disconnected/reconnected the cables and the red went away - now about 2 months later still gone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2015 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com