Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Vizio VX37L Backlight Only, No Response from Side Buttons   Goto page 1, 2  Next  

cyphertek

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Vizio VX37L Backlight Only, No Response from Side Buttons Reply with quote

Specifications
TV make: Vizio 37" FP
Model: VX37L HDTV10A
Chassis: 1712-0101-1130 / 1712-0101-1140 (I think these are the chassis numbers)

Background
I was recently given a Vizio VX37L HDTV10A (with no remote) from my sister's friend. He said he would be watching the TV and the picture would go out, then he would tap on the back of the unit and the picture would come back on. After a few months of doing that, the TV got to where it never came back on. And that is how it was given to me - wouldn't power on.

I just ordered and replaced the power unit in the VX37L today, and now when:
a. I plug in the power cable, the front VIZIO light turns orange
b. I push the power button, the front VIZIO light turns white and the backlight lights up

Problem
a. None of the side menu buttons work after it turns on: Power, Menu, Chan up/dn, Vol up/dn, or Input - unable to invoke menu, change input selection, etc.
b. The power button will not turn it off - I have to turn it off via the ground strip/plug multiplier power switch

What have I tried already?
a. I plugged a working coax cable to the back of the unit - thinking if it had a signal it would work, but the situation did not change.
b. I unplugged and replugged the button circuit board connections

I don't know what else to try, and I have been googlin the problem to no avail. I would like to thank you in advance for sharing your expertise, I really appreciate it! Hopefully the knowledge gained will also help someone else out too.
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

JTS1957

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could program a "Universal" remote and try it.
Next board to try = Main.
cyphertek

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Any other known remote codes? Reply with quote

@ JTS1957: Thank you for your reply.

I saw where someone said to use 0178, 1758, 0128, or 1017 with a universal remote but none of them worked for this AtlasXL–1047 remote. Charter's website led me to ezremote.com which didn't find a matching code but they thought 1756 will work, but it didn't. I also tried the All Search technique, but no go.

Anyone know any different Vizio VX37L remote codes?

I might get the remote made for the Vizio VX37L since I would like to have one anyway just to know for sure I need to focus on a different component.
JTS1957

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTS1957 wrote:
Could program a "Universal" remote and try it.
Next board to try = Main.

Be sure the "Universal" remote is at least as new as the TV. Wink
A 15-year-old "Universal" remote may not have a code in it for a set that didn't exist when the remote was designed and made.
kuhurdler

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

remote codes are usually unique to whatever particular remote you are using. So asking for other codes is probably not going to lead to any new hidden codes.
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

cyphertek

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: it is an old uni remote Reply with quote

@ JTS1957 and kuhurdler: Thanks for your input!

It is an old universal remote, I doubt it was made after the VX37L.
cyphertek

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: I'm pretty sure I just found why it's not acting right Reply with quote

I finally found a good pic - the back of a VX37L PSU, and it looks like I'm missing a cable that should go on the PSU's CN4 port to somewhere...?

The below pic is the back of a PSU with a cable that I don't have on my PSU. (notice the red arrow)

The below pic is the back of my VX37L. (notice the red arrow)

In fact, even if I did have that cable I haven't been able to tell where the other side would plug up. I looked in the service manual for "CN4" but didn't find anything.

Does anyone know: if that cable is needed, the cable part number, and where it plugs up?
JTS1957

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One PSU can be used in many items. The cable/jack you point out may not be used in your application, but was being used in the application from where they obtained the board.
cyphertek

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Right Side Panel Controls now work Reply with quote

I fixed this issue by replacing the Main Board part number 3637-0092-0395. Thought I would share.

Then remote control code 11758 worked for my Comcast remote.

Keywords for those who are searching for the answer to this issue:
Vizio VX37L main menu won't come on
Vizio VX37L Right Side Panel Control buttons don't work
Vizio VX37L Right Side Panel Controls broken
BRI7070

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: I have the same problem Reply with quote

Reading your post, I have almost the same problem. In addition to what you described, I have various rainbow lines on the sides and I have to unplug it to turn it off.

How did you troubleshoot your TV? I am not an electronics type of person but I do have some common sence,,,,I think.

Can you tell me how to troubleshoot my TV or can you point me in a good direction as to how to troubleshoot my TV?

Thanks
Brian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2015 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com