Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Zenith a32b41w popped and smoked, now won't power up    

cuttysark9712

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Zenith a32b41w popped and smoked, now won't power up Reply with quote

Dad says he was watching the TV and it made a popping noise followed immediately by the tube going dark as if it was turned off, followed momentarily by an ozone smelling light grey smoke. Now it does nothing. Before finding this website I watched him take the back cover off and take the plug looking thing off the top of the tube with his bare hand; I read here moments later that could have killed him if the tube was charged, haha. But it didn't make any snapping or popping noises when he took it off, so I guess it wasn't? Nothing on the circuit board looks charred or fried. A new TV isn't in the budget right now, so any help I could get figuring this out would be great. I'm going to look at some more stuff on this site, but I'm really unfamiliar with all the technical jargon, so please go slowly. Thanks so much.
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

Wendell1980

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like the flyback transformer went
its connected to the big red anode wire going to the top of the tube
or possibly a capacitor exploded
cuttysark9712

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. Any idea how much a repair shop would get to fix such a problem?
Wendell1980

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a rough guess maybe anywhere from 60 - 150 bucks in that range
cuttysark9712

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really! I looked this up on wikipedia and it said that the labor cost is usually prohibitive. Also, Dad talked to a repair shop yesterday, and they said they couldn't even get the part!
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

kuhurdler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

before you toss it, check for a burnt scan cap CX3220 (1000pf/2KV)

the flyback is no longer available for that model.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2015 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com