Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Zenith SR3547RK Arcing from transformer    

Zenith of my Career

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Zenith SR3547RK Arcing from transformer Reply with quote

Hi all, back for some more help. Thanks again for the last repair tips.

I have a new interesting problem with my Zenith SR3547RK (a CRT built Aug 95 in Juarez, Mexico).

The TV has been working fine, but started to make a loud snapping sound every so often (with no apparent user input). It was just an occasional pop, like loud static, so it didn't bother me much.

But recently, it began snapping more often, and now does it every few seconds for a while after startup. When I pulled the rear cover, I was surprised to see a huge arc jumping a near half-inch gap between what I guess is a transformer, and a nearby aluminum bracket. This transformer-looking device holds the heavy gauge wire that runs to the top of the CRT. The arc jumps from the base of the wire connection, like a bad plug wire on an old smallblock Chevy.

My kids thought the spark was really cool, but I'm not so enthused. Any idea what I might be dealing with here? I looked for any bare wires or toasted components, but I don't see anything out of place. The picture is still fine, although it gets a bit weak when the arcing happens.

Maybe the connection to the tube is getting weak? I believe it was reconnected some years ago by a repair tech with a big glob of goo.

Anyway, I would like to get some more miles out of this thing and appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Rich
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are describing is a bad IHVT (integrated high voltage transformer) part number 095-04134-28 and subs to 095-04134-11

Now for the bad part. This part is no longer available and I could find no substitutions.

Sorry

Jesse
Zenith of my Career

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer news. But thanks for the info.

Anyone in the Detroit area need a big Zenith CRT for parts?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2015 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com